Thread: A change in plans for Zambrano

AA ERA

A change in plans for Zambrano

A change in plans for Zambrano
    June 28, 2005

BY MIKE KILEY Staff Reporter

Mark Prior exceeded all expectations in his raging return Sunday. Kerry Wood looks determined to do the same when he comes back with a refined and smoother pitching style in Wednesday's start against Milwaukee.

But in between these highly anticipated turnarounds in the Cubs' season, the re-emergence of Carlos Zambrano is every bit as important. Zambrano plans to win tonight against the Brewers by putting his mind over his matter. If he can discover what really matters, he figures that he can be a better pitcher.

No one questions whether Zambrano has the qualities to be an overpowering presence. He is coming to realize, however, that a philosophy of throwing hard, harder and hardest really isn't going to work for him.

''For some reason I become a thrower in the first two innings and not a pitcher,'' he said. ''I want to be a pitcher and not a thrower. When you throw 94, 93 [mph] and locate your pitches, it's better than when you throw 98 and put the ball right down the middle.''

Zambrano suspects that overthrowing was part of his downfall when he survived just 1-2/3 innings last week against Milwaukee. The Brewers scored eight runs on seven hits against him in the second and Zambrano had to swallow perhaps the worst setback of his career.

Well I think it worked pretty well .
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

He should use that plan every start. Same with Wood.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!