Notes: Rusch's role a valuable one
Return of Prior, Wood brings tough roster decisions

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Cubs manager Dusty Baker likes to refer to Glendon Rusch as his "everything man."
With the way Rusch has fluctuated between the roles of a starter and a bullpen pitcher in his two years with the Cubs, that statement doesn't seem to be too far off.

After making 10 starts for the Cubs this season, Rusch has rejoined the bullpen following the return of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood from injury.

Rusch said that this decision was made during the team's series against the White Sox. For Baker, it seemed like the most logical thing to do since Rusch can play many different roles in the bullpen.

"Glendon's going to do what he's done for years," Baker said. "He's in the bullpen now. He can go long, medium, short, or be a spot starter if we need him. He's been our everything man."

Though he has never quite seemed to stay in one role for very long with the team, it is not something that seems to bother Rusch.

"I'm comfortable with the role I'm in," Rusch said. "Whatever is going to make us better, to win, that's the bottom line. I came here to win and I wouldn't have come back here unless I thought we were going to win or have a chance."

Rusch and Mitre have both been great at doing whatever we ask them and not complaining.