Thread: Dempster: Cubs getting closer to breaking out

AA ERA

Dempster: Cubs getting closer to breaking out

Dempster: Cubs getting closer to breaking out
    June 27, 2005

BY MIKE KILEY Staff Reporter

Ryan Dempster has one blown save in 12 chances, but has not been involved in a loss since he took over as closer May 11 in a 4-3, 10-inning victory against the New York Mets.

Dempster actually earned the win that same day he suffered his only blown save, thanks to Derrek Lee's walkoff homer. In some ways, Dempster believes that he and D-Lee share a common characteristic right now: unbridled confidence that the best is going to happen.

After his save Sunday in a 2-0 victory over the White Sox proved to be his 11th straight, you could argue that Dempster has pulled off what was considered impossible.

He has seized the once vacant stopper's role with an authority and enthusiasm that many critics thought wouldn't happen until general manager Jim Hendry pulled off some deadline deal in July -- when it probably would have been too late.

"Not to take it to an extreme, but it's like D-Lee,'' Dempster said of his 11 in a row. "You get off to such a good start and get on a roll that you get confidence. You believe in yourself and it really does help. Just holding the lead in the first game when I blew the save gave me confidence and we got the win.''

Hendry was in favor of making Dempster the closer in spring training and starting the year that way. But injuries to Mark Prior and Kerry Wood kept that from happening when Dempster was forced to be a starter in their absence.

I have been really impressed with Dempster. He has preformed well no matter what we have asked him to do. He has really been a huge factor in keeping this team together during the last month. If he keeps it up then we can be mad sucessful post All-Star Game.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

I love Ryan Dempster. One of the few players whom I was pimping in ST that worked out.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    I love Ryan Dempster. One of the few players whom I was pimping in ST that worked out.
    Didn't get that at first but now I do .

Was hoping the Cuban dude would work out in ST, but he got hurt and I have no idea what he is doing now.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

He's doing really well in Iowa.
    He is 1-1, with 1.76 ERA, 9 saves, 37 Ks, and 13 BBs, in 30.7 innings.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!