Thread: Cubs' Hendry 'confident' he can improve team via trade

AA ERA

Cubs' Hendry 'confident' he can improve team via trade

Cubs' Hendry 'confident' he can improve team via trade
    By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter

June 27, 2005

July is just around the corner, the time of year when Cubs general manager Jim Hendry's cell-phone battery is always in dire need of juicing.

While a ballplayer's version of money time comes in October, GMs tend to show their true colors in July, when the trade deadline is approaching, the pennant races begin to heat up, the fans are desperate for a move or two and the first wave of expendable players goes on the market.

Thanks to parity in the National League, the 38-36 Cubs find themselves buyers in the upcoming market, with left field the most likely position in need of an upgrade. The Cubs have some money to spend, but won't spend it just for the sake of making a big splash.

"I would put some [financial] limitations on myself," Hendry said. "But we've certainly always had the ability to make room for July. That's not going to stop. If we feel we have a good deal to make and it helps the club, I'm very confident we'll be able to do it."

Preston Wilson and Mark Kotsay have drawn the Cubs' interest, but it's too early to say whether Kotsay will be traded, or whether the Cubs pay the price it will take to acquire Wilson. The only certainty is Hendry's track record, which suggests he'll probably make a major move before the July 31 deadline.

I expect us to either acquire a LF, a MR, or just more depth. Whatever happens, I think we will improve, although much improvement can be had with Prior/Wood/Nomar getting healthy.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Is Nomah trying to come back this year? Yes, returning injured players is sometimes just as good as a trade...I expect them to try to trade for a more proven closer if available...

AA ERA
    I wouldn't mess with Dempster unless he screws up alot in the next month. He has saved 11 straight I think. We could trade for a guy and then only use him if Dempster gets bad, but I'm not sure if there is anyone we would really want.

I think Nomar is trying to come back this year. Haven't seen an article in a little while though. Here is one from about 2 weeks ago. Article Here.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    And if the A's "have to" trade Kotsay...I think the Cubs would have the most to offer us. Certainly more than the Yanks and Saux. When the Saux were rumored to try and trade for Zito last year or during the off-season, they were supposedly trying to dangle senor hanley ramirez (a SS)...hello, we have rookie of the year SS and former 1st rounder Bobby Crosby.