Thread: Bobby Scales

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Cubs Bobby Scales

all right, sure, he probably isnt going to be around all that long since he is a career minor leaguer, and he is 31 years old, but he's stuck with it in the minors for 10 long years and is finally getting a chance to show what hes got at the show. 8 for his first 18. Sure, he's not going to continue to hit like he has so far, but its nice to see a guy like him get a shot after spending so long in the minors. Everyone says he is a nice guy, class guy, and its good to see persistence rewarded.

Scales, one of the hitting stars in Thursday's 11-3 victory over San Diego, had 10 hard minor-league seasons behind him when he made his debut for the Cubs April 25 against the Giants. Countless bus rides, lots of one-star motel points, a steady diet of fast-food and not so much as a September call-up.

His stay was supposed to be brief, but Scales banged a single to left off reigning Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum his second time at the plate and has been hanging ever since: eight hits in his first 18 at-bats, including a home run against the Padres Tuesday night and two two-run doubles Thursday.
    rest of story here: Bobby Scales weighs in on big-league experience -- chicagotribune.com
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Bobby Scales

Longest hitting streak by a Cub rookie since Jerome Walton.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Bobby Scales

Great success story so far. I love the kid and hope Lou can keep him in the lineup. I can not a big fan of Aaron Miles, never have been, so I may be biased as i hated him on the Cards but his early days with Chicago I am not so happy with his play. And Mike Fontenot play as of late must give Scales some kind of confidence. Fonts only has 1 base hit in his last 22 at-bats, including 7 strikeouts in that span. Nothing to be proud about.

Although, i will say Scales is on the same level right now with two other Cub players in the recent past that i was very proud of and thought they might be something to ride home about.... Augie Ojeda and Angel Pagan. Loved their efforts and as a result i respect both a lot, but neither really did much after a great start.