Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Fox....Stud

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Jake Fox....Stud

Jake Fox homered yet again for Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday, giving him five in his last five games and 12 for the season.
    Albert Pujols has nothing on Fox, who is batting .446/.512/1.068 in 74 at-bats. What makes it especially remarkable is that he's struck out 21 times. When he makes contact, he's hitting an astounding .623. Still, there's no way he would have more useful than Milton Bradley over the last couple of weeks.
    I think Pujols has a lot on Fox but I get what this guy is saying. 12 bombs this early is ****ing nuts even in AAA. I think anyone could have been more useful than Bradley who has done nothing but ride the bench. This is a guy to keep an eye on. Possibly could be involved in some Peavy talks later this spring?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jake Fox....Stud

Jake Fox...26 year old minor leaguer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Matt Holliday was 26 when he had his break out year.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

except Holliday wasn't in Triple-A.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Fox is being blocked, Holliday wasn't. Still the same age He has hit at every level. Maybe his defense isn't that good. His offense is undeniable.

MLB ERA

Jake Fox can catch, play 1st or 3rd and left & right. He doesn't run particularly well, but can hit major league fastballs pretty well. He has trouble with breaking balls and change ups. He would be a very valuable utility player for a lot of teams, or a decent DH option for an AL team, if he gets his holes plugged.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

AAAA-4-life

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A trade is definitely needed for him to even have a chance. So far, the Cubs haven't given him that chance so its premature to call him a AAAAer.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

26 years old and the PCL. We've seen a good number of players, maybe not at this high of a stat line, crush in the PCL. reef is right that he could be a late bloomer as he would not be the first, but his plate discipline and big swings indicates to me that he is more than likely outgrown the kiddies in AAA and figured out their tricks. A PH/fringe starter role ala Russell Branyan might be in the works for him down the line, but the numbers here don't tell the complete story on Fox.

I do agree though that some team should take a chance on him as he won't get it in Chicago.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

the reason why fox is in the minors is mostly due to his defense. or lack thereof. He's always been able to mash, every level he is at. Unfortunately for him, he is also Adam Dunn bad in the field.

He's really a DH type player. those dont go over too well in the NL.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

yea.. his defense is pretty bad. however, as a 4th OF option who can also play emergency catcher, if he's still hitting that good he probably should get a try. Problem is, with all of the good he's brought this year, he still strikes out a lot. And when you move up from AAA to MLB the difference in the pitching is huge I'd imagine.

Torn whether or not I think he could contribute to the team right now. We're hurting, and could use a bat like that in the offense even if it means downgrading on d for awhile. Remember now, Hoffpauir was a horrible defender initially too, and he's been a revelation off the bench for the Cubs. Jake Fox has that kind of upside at best I think, but probably won't get a chance. And when you break it down, even if he got an extended chance he'd probably wind up more like a Jason Dubois than Micah Hoffpauir...

Shit, the cubs have too many of these slobs in their system.... remember Matt Murton? another similar story...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They can trade Fox like they did Murton.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

When I think "stud" I think Randy Wells. Still, a 0.00 era in his major league career. Sure, it's only 15.1 innings, but jeez, i'm liking him a lot. I know he's going to go back to earth soon, probably his next start, but if it wasn't for Kevin Gregg he'd have his first win today. Wells could actually turn into a pretty solid pitcher.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This man has a 1.467 OPS and is hitting .431 with 17 HRs. Someone can definitely use this guy!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The only thing that I can imagine preventing it from happening is that the Cubs have increased the asking price beyond fairness (ie what conventional scouting will tell you about Fox.) Or they hope to create a spot for him... somehow. Maybe Bradley turning on his injury switch to get his (stinky) bat out of the lineup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast