Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jake Fox....Stud

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Jake Fox....Stud

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This man has a 1.467 OPS and is hitting .431 with 17 HRs. Someone can definitely use this guy!
    The problem as stated by rockin, is his defense. He needs to play DH to have any kind of success at the MLB level. He's still a high risk of being a bust and despite his great stats in the minors, his value is still low. Only way for a guy like this to get his value up is to get called up to the majors and prove it there and then get dealt. Someone suggested he be used as a 4th OFer. Not sure that would work. A guy like him needs his at-bats and needs to play daily, to have a consitant swing. If he goes into random parts of games, he will only strike out and strike out and be back in the minors in no time.

MLB ERA

Jake Fox could be a very good utility player for some team. He can catch, play 1B or either corner outfield spot. He could probably play 3B if necessary. He has a great bat, at least at the AAA level.
    He has had a cup of coffee with the Cubs in 2007 and should be considered by anyone that needs a "rent-a-bat" at the deadline, if the Cubs don't decide to bring him up. He is on their 40-man roster and is not out of options, yet. I believe this is his final option year, though.
    Actually, his strike out rate isn't that bad. In almost 2600 plate appearances, he has struck out 474 times. As I said, he has holes in his swing (which appear to be being filled this season) and he has been working very hard on his defense -- 2 errors this season, both at 1B (he has played at C, 1B, 3B, RF, & LF along with DH this year).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

If anyone wants to look through his minor league stats, here they are, courtesy of baseball reference.com: Jake Fox Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs recalled 1B Jake Fox from Triple-A Iowa.
    Fox, who has previous major league experience from 2007, was hitting a ridiculous .423/.503/.886 with 17 home runs in 149 at-bats. The Cubs want to boost their offense, so he will see some time.
    Lets see what the man can do. The Cubs just ended an eight game losing streak so they need to get on some kind of track here. Neal Cotts and Bobby Scales were sent down and Miles hit the DL making this move possible.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

cotts should stay in the minors. he sucks. and miles should remain on the DL. he's crappy too.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

I've seen this guy hit and think he can help the Cubs. Bobby Scales is a better defender, and could play sparingly better than Fox does. I hope the Cubs let this guy play regularly

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lou wants Fox to work with Trammell for a few days to see if he can handle the hot corner. Not a bad idea.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Fox is hitting .429 with a RBI after his first weekend.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

0-for-3 with 3 strikeouts last night. Broxton made him look foolish trying to catch up to his 98 mph heater.

MLB ERA

^ Exactly why he's minor league fodder.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I'll be first to admit I was wrong. This guy's been a good find for us, and with Hoffpauir not doing much of anything anymore, he could be a nice power bat off the bench for the rest of the year.

Kudos to Jake Fox... I never imagined he'd ever break through-- let alone with the Cubs...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

fox has been useful so far, thats for sure. When Ramirez gets back, stick fox in left field and let soriano sit for a few games (more) since he cant hit OR field right now.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12