Thread: Cubs want Kotsay now, too apparently

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cubs want Kotsay now, too apparently

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    yes, theres been rumblings about it here. the reason why i think its possible that such a deal could go down is that beane wants that contract off the books in the worst way possible, so he would be willing to take corey if it came to that since it would save him 5 million dollars next year (corey would probably make about 2.25-2.5 million in arbitration considering his numbers).

Im not sure if i would like it or not, but i would have to consider it heavily. i would like more performance from kotsay, but hes still a very good player who isnt a hack like patterson.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    I don't think Patterson is a Beane-type player [he k's a lot (500 in 2000 career ABs, 1/4) and doesn't have a high OBP in BeaneLand (.270 this year, .300 career)]...the other stuff I've seen says we'd want prospects

Kotsay would be nice, but which prospects would Beane want? I am sure most likely pitchers, b/c majority of our hitting prospects are not Billy Beane type.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Yea, the thing I saw said that Cubs have plenty of pitching prospects to spare

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I don't think Patterson is a Beane-type player [he k's a lot (500 in 2000 career ABs, 1/4) and doesn't have a high OBP in BeaneLand (.270 this year, .300 career)]...the other stuff I've seen says we'd want prospects
    i agree, but sometimes you just want to get 7 million off your books and you'll take two+ million to get rid of him.

though i do agree that pitching prospects would probably be required, the only one i would think to be involved would be someone like sergio mitre.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

Patterson has been struggling since Dusty made him bat leadoff. Personally, I say bench Patterson and let Hairston play in Center. He has the arm and the speed.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    im at the point of just saying dont play anywhere. He is batting like .200 at leadoff (after this 1 for 14 slump there) and like .155 batting second.

i think i would prefer rickey be rickey over patterson right now. eek

MLB ERA
    Patterson went 0 for 5 with 4 k's last night

I was expecting a good year from him. He's got 10 homers, but the majority were solo

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    not the majority, but ALL of them were solo. he cant hit with men on base.

MLB ERA
    all is still a majority

Actually, I just didn't feel like looking it up, but remembered that at least a lot were solo

and Kotsay is making 6.5 million this year...and overall it was a wash or somewhat of a savings when we traded for him (lost t-long and hernandez).

Kotsay is also a player Beane has always wanted, so he's not going to give him away for less than what he wants

Benching Corey is not the best option, nor is trading him. Corey is still young, 25, most of the players are just begin their career at this age. Before, he was forced into a role which just doesn't fit him, and Baker kept on switching his batting order. He was confused what he suppose to do. Now he wants to lead off, and most likely will be kept in that row for a while, he will progress. He did use his speed, laying off a bunt to start the game today.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!