Thread: Maddux's And Fergie's #31 Retired

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Maddux's And Fergie's #31 Retired

At long last, Ferguson Jenkins received the call. The Cubs plan to retire the No. 31 he and future Hall of Fame pitcher Greg Maddux wore during a special ceremony May 3 before the Cubs host the Florida Marlins at Wrigley Field. "I knew eventually it would happen," Jenkins said Wednesday from Arizona. "It is good for the fans. It's important fans recognize it, as well as the organization. I am having family members come down and friends I made over a couple of decades playing for the organization." Jenkins was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991 but has had to wait as the uniform numbers of former teammates Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ryne Sandberg were retired. Jenkins insists he does not know why the Cubs delayed his honor. "No, not really," he said. "When they had a day for me the year I went into the Hall, I thought it would have happened then. But nobody ever brought it up. "You know, there's a time to do things, and unfortunately it just wasn't that time."
    How ****ing awesome would it be to that game?? That said, its a little weird these guys are having their numbers retired. Sure they are HOFers but Fergie only spent 10 of 19 seasons with the Cubs and Maddux 10 of 23. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I would love to be there when it happens.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Maddux's And Fergie's #31 Retired

hmmm.... I'll probably be there.

I dont really have a problem with it being retired. Its a nice gesture to maddux and fergie probably should have it retired, but he left on bad terms with the cubs in the mid 80's so thats why it took so long.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Be sure to take plenty of pictures if you do go.

MLB ERA

Maddux wasn't there even close to ten years. His rookie year was 1986 and left after the 1992 season, if I remember correctly. So my math says seven.

And I'm not sure how you can retire someone's number solely on that. But since it's a dual retirement, it might be a little different.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You do remember Maddux went back to Chicago after Atlanta don't you? Your math is right, the equation is wrong.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    Maddux wasn't there even close to ten years. His rookie year was 1986 and left after the 1992 season, if I remember correctly. So my math says seven.

And I'm not sure how you can retire someone's number solely on that. But since it's a dual retirement, it might be a little different.
    its a dual retirement, and hes including the time he came back (2004-2006). He had his best years with atlanta, obviously, but he had some good ones with the cubs plus was part of that magical (for the cubs at any rate!) 89 team. Plus he spent 3 seasons in the farm for the cubs.

I dont think it would be right to have someone have #31 after he got done with it and factor in fergie's tenure, the number is done.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1