Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Give Miles Two Year Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Cubs Give Miles Two Year Deal

The Chicago Sun Times reports that the Cubs have agreed to terms with Aaron Miles on a two-year, $4.9 million contract.
    St. Louis cut Miles loose because they didn't want to pay him around $2.5 million via arbitration, so it's a surprise that he's able to get a two-year deal. Chicago already had infield depth with Ronny Cedeno on the bench, so signing Miles seemingly could lead to the Cubs shopping Mark DeRosa.
    I cannot see the reasoning behind getting Miles unless they do deal either Cedeno, DeRosa or Fontenot. Could a Peavy deal be in the works again? Cubs said at the GM meetings they couldn't do anything without moving Marquis' salary. Now they have a deal in the works to send Marquis to the Rockies to clear room. Plus DeRosa's name was mentioned in a possible three team deal. Cubs are up to something or else this signing makes no sense. The Cards are really going to miss Miles. He did a great job for them.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Cubs Give Miles Two Year Deal

Cubs traded DeRosa to the Indians for a three minor leaguers, one being a decent relief prospect.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They are clearing payroll room to sign Milton Bradley.

MLB ERA

Yep, not Jake Peavy as some might have thought
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Yep, not Jake Peavy as some might have thought
    nah, most knew they were clearing space for bradley since they have been talking with him for quite some time.

the peavy talks may be revived at some point, but not right now.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

The Cubs have 1 spot on their 40-man roster for someone to fill. Bradley could be the guy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Interesting. They probably could have gotten someone a little cheaper, but Miles should be a decent pickup, coming off the bench.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Interesting. They probably could have gotten someone a little cheaper, but Miles should be a decent pickup, coming off the bench.
    He'll platoon with Fotenot at 2B.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

Interesting. I imagine Fontenot will get more of the playing time?

AAA ERA

Just so you know, during the Winter Meetings a Cubs offical said the only way the Cubs trade DeRosa is in a Peavy deal. I think it could be a prelude to doing that. They were going to sign Bradley even if they didn't deal Marquis and DeRosa. Though it was said the Peavy deal and Bradley wouldn't happen. Now they've cleared the money to do both. We'll see how it goes from here.

Piniella and Lou loved DeRosa though. I doubt they traded him for an injury prone DH.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

I was thinking that too, but it's been so long since that deal had been discussed, do you think both teams will want to re-visit it now?

AAA ERA

Interesting. I imagine Fontenot will get more of the playing time?
    He responded poorly to increased playing time in 2007. In 2008 he got more, but didn't start consistently and had a great year. He had 9 home runs in 243 AB's with 40 RBI's and a .305 average. Miles also plays SS, LF, CF, and RF. So he'll probably give a lot of guys a day off in addition to 2B duties.

His power numbers earned him the nick name "Sneaky Power" in a baseball forum I post on with an active Cubs thread.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

I see. I like Fontenot from the little bit I saw last year. I mean, you don't need a huge bat at 2B as long as you've got a good glove there, and Fontenot and Miles are both decent fits, and in a platoon situation should be more than viable for the Cubs.

AAA ERA

I was thinking that too, but it's been so long since that deal had been discussed, do you think both teams will want to re-visit it now?
    Well keep in mind the reason of even dealing Peavy wasn't because they want to rebuild or anything. They needed to dump salary. Their owner is going through a divorce, and the economy is bad.

They had a three team deal in place with the Phillies. In that deal they sent DeRosa to the Phillies for pitching prospects who'd then be flipped to the Padres. But the Cubs didn't want to deal DeRosa, and really didn't want to deal Sean Marshall who was huge for the Cubs last year.

Now the Padres are in a weird situation. The owner wants Peavy and his contract gone. Peavy holds a no trade clause. He wants to go to the Cubs. During the Winter Meetings in Vegas he was signing autographs with GO CUBS. He also wants to stay in the NL. So I mean the Padres GM is a tough bind. Having to deal a player where the player has all the leverage.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    Well keep in mind the reason of even dealing Peavy wasn't because they want to rebuild or anything. They needed to dump salary. Their owner is going through a divorce, and the economy is bad.

They had a three team deal in place with the Phillies. In that deal they sent DeRosa to the Phillies for pitching prospects who'd then be flipped to the Padres. But the Cubs didn't want to deal DeRosa, and really didn't want to deal Sean Marshall who was huge for the Cubs last year.

Now the Padres are in a weird situation. The owner wants Peavy and his contract gone. Peavy holds a no trade clause. He wants to go to the Cubs. During the Winter Meetings in Vegas he was signing autographs with GO CUBS. He also wants to stay in the NL. So I mean the Padres GM is a tough bind. Having to deal a player where the player has all the leverage.
    I heard that, but the Padres don't seem desperate to deal Peavy anymore. At least, not as much as they did earlier on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast