Thread: No Arbitration For Wood

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs No Arbitration For Wood

The Cubs have declined to offer arbitration to Kerry Wood and Bob Howry.
    Wood, a Type A free agent, just became a whole lot more attractive. The Cubs know he'll get multiyear offers elsewhere, but they figured he might prefer Chicago so much that he'd take the one-year deal to stay. Oddly, it's not something they wanted to risk, though if you asked us a couple of months ago, we'd have guessed they'd be thrilled to have Wood back on a one-year deal.
    I was very shocked when I read this. Wood can find a job in the market of closers so the Cubs would have definitely have gotten their draft picks. Even if Wood couldn;t find a mulityear deal, the Cubs would have a very strong bullpen with Marmol and Samardzija setting him up and Gregg being a 6th/7th inning guy. Like the article says, Wood looks a lot more attractive now.

MLB ERA

Re: No Arbitration For Wood

I don't understand why you wouldn't offer arb to a type A free agent, to lose those picks to me just seems stupid. If he takes it, then you can trade him, a player on a 1 year deal is always attractive in trade talks

I just don't see the logic in it, maybe someone can explain it to me
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

AAA ERA

Re: No Arbitration For Wood

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't offer arb to a type A free agent, to lose those picks to me just seems stupid. If he takes it, then you can trade him, a player on a 1 year deal is always attractive in trade talks

I just don't see the logic in it, maybe someone can explain it to me
    They didn't offer it, because Wood wanted more then anything to stay with the Cubs. He said he'd have done anything to stay with them, including a 1 year deal. So offering him arby would be getting him for 1 year, but even more per year then they could of had him at.

Not to mention Kerry was a rookie in 1998. Pretty sure there's a 10 years in the MLB, 5 years with one club rule that gives you a veteran no trade clause. So he wouldn't be going anywhere. The price didn't matter, the Cubs just didn't want Kerry Wood.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018