Thread: Williams' Iowa work makes an impression

AA ERA

Williams' Iowa work makes an impression

Williams' Iowa work makes an impression
    By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter
    June 14, 2005, 11:11 PM CDT

Jerome Williams makes his fourth start for Triple-A Iowa on Wednesday and could fill the fifth starter's spot in the Cubs' rotation if he continues to pitch well.

If the Cubs skip over John Koronka on Saturday against the New York Yankees, as expected, they won't need a fifth starter until June 21 at Milwaukee. Williams would be available to start against the Brewers on five days' rest, if the Cubs opt to bring him up by then.

Williams has a 2.95 earned-run average in his first three starts for Iowa.

"I heard he's progressing well," manager Dusty Baker said. "His fastball is still not where it could be, and he's still getting in shape. He's throwing the ball pretty well. We've got our eye on him too."

Although Kerry Wood is expected back in the rotation by the end of the month and Mark Prior could follow a couple weeks after that, Baker said it's not a given Sergio Mitre will be taken out of the rotation after both pitchers return.

"He knows and we know that if he pitches well, whether Prior and Wood come back or not, we'll try to find a spot for him," Baker said.

"The bottom line is to perform well and everything else takes care of itself."

The Cubs' options would be to keep Mitre in the rotation and send left-hander Glendon Rusch back to the bullpen, where Will Ohman has been the only consistent lefty, or stick Mitre in the bullpen in place of a current reliever.

Relievers Cliff Bartosh and Joe Borowski have struggled lately, with Bartosh serving up four home runs over his last three outings, and Borowski giving up four runs on six hits and a walk in two outings covering two combined innings.

Bartosh, who has a 5.30 ERA, is out of options, and cannot be sent to the minors without clearing waivers.

Asked if having 12 pitchers was "excessive," Baker scoffed at the question.

"I don't think it's excessive," he said. "Not the last couple days, when you get beat 9-1 and 8-1. It's not excessive at all actually."

Ehhh I could do with Bartosh alltogether. Let Mitre start and send Rusch to the bullpen. Like this Hill kid we brought up and also expect to see Jerome Williams up at the majors before the end of the year.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    williams will be a good addition and cant be worse than hawkins!

williams has good enough stuff to be at least a #5 starter.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

We won't need a started til the 21st, I believe, so I bet he will probably make that start. I wonder if Rich Hill will pitch at all on this short stint with the Cubs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by aTrUeCUBsFaN
    We won't need a started til the 21st, I believe, so I bet he will probably make that start. I wonder if Rich Hill will pitch at all on this short stint with the Cubs.
    he already has. gave up two runs against the marlins on wednesday.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1