Thread: Cubs Pick Up Harden's Option

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Cubs Pick Up Harden's Option

Cubs exercised RHP Rich Harden’s $7 million option for 2009.
    The Chicago Tribune reports that Harden's shoulder examination turned up nothing that will require surgery, making this an easy decision. Harden was 10-2 with a 2.07 ERA in his 25 starts for the A's and Cubs this year.
    Harden has some of the best stuff in baseball but the guy can barely make it past the 5th inning. $7 million is the perfect price for a pitcher with his stuff and his history of injuries. Cubs better hope his shoulder holds up next year or they will go 101 years without a title.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Cubs Pick Up Harden's Option

Harden, always a risk, but at $7 million it really was a no-brainer (especially for a team of a financial position like the Cubs.) Where it will get dicey is when Harden is looking for a contract extension.... that could go down in flames.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Just wait till Cuban buys the team.

MLB ERA

Cuban on board or not, you don't neccesarily want to invest something like 85-110$ million over 6-7 years (maybe even more money/years, I dunno) for a guy who has always been a pretty huge injury risk his entire career. Phenomenal stuff or not, like you said, he usually goes 5 per game... 6-7 when he's really on. I don't think he went 8 but maybe once this entire year...

A long contract for a pitcher is a huge risk period... and honestly... if Harden can't throw 200 innings next year, depending on what he's looking for as a FA I might just let him explore offers if I was in control of the situation. Otherwise, I'm sure in time it would be just like having another Mark Prior/Kerry Wood in the rotation. Maybe not, but I wouldn't take the chance.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

AAA ERA

As long as the Cubs don't build the rotation around him, I'm fine with whatever they pay him. Zambrano is your number 1, and as long as Harden if your 3, 4, or 5. It's not a big deal if he misses time. The Cubs said next year they'll do the same things this year with letting him skip a start once in a while, or giving him an extra day here or there.

They are going to make sure he's ready. After his MRI's came back clean meaning he doesn't need surgery, they are going to put him on an off season plan to strengthen his shoulder.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Cuban on board or not, you don't neccesarily want to invest something like 85-110$ million over 6-7 years (maybe even more money/years, I dunno) for a guy who has always been a pretty huge injury risk his entire career. Phenomenal stuff or not, like you said, he usually goes 5 per game... 6-7 when he's really on. I don't think he went 8 but maybe once this entire year...

A long contract for a pitcher is a huge risk period... and honestly... if Harden can't throw 200 innings next year, depending on what he's looking for as a FA I might just let him explore offers if I was in control of the situation. Otherwise, I'm sure in time it would be just like having another Mark Prior/Kerry Wood in the rotation. Maybe not, but I wouldn't take the chance.
    I was making a joke that Cuban would probably give him a deal like that because he isn;t exactly the best at signing or making moves. He's rich but his GM skills aren't great.