Sun, Jun 12 Boston Cubs Lose 1-8

Next 5:
    Tue, Jun 14 Florida 8:05 pm
    Wed, Jun 15 Florida 2:20 pm
    Fri, Jun 17 at NY Yankees 7:05 pm
    Sat, Jun 18 at NY Yankees 3:05 pm
    Sun, Jun 19 at NY Yankees 1:05 pm
    (All times EST)

NL Central Standings (As of 1:40 PM CST 6/14)

Code:
    Team       W  L  Pct  GB  
    St. Louis  40 23 .635 --  
    Chi Cubs   33 29 .532 6.5  
    Pittsburgh 30 31 .492 9.0  
    Milwaukee  28 35 .444 12.0  
    Houston    26 36 .419 13.5  
    Cincinnati 26 37 .413 14.0 
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    Code:
    Player           Pos   AB R H RBI BB K LOB Season Avg  
    N. Perez         ss    4  0 0 0   0  0 1   .301  
    J. Hairston Jr.  2b    4  0 1 0   0  0 0   .268  
        C. Bartosh   p     0  0 0 0   0  0 0   1.000  
    D. Lee           1b    3  1 1 0   0  1 0   .377  
    A. Ramirez       3b    4  0 2 1   0  1 1   .284  
    J. Dubois        lf    4  0 1 0   0  1 2   .259  
    J. Burnitz       rf    4  0 1 0   0  1 3   .268  
    C. Patterson     cf    3  0 1 0   0  2 2   .262  
    M. Barrett       c     3  0 0 0   0  0 3   .295  
    J. Koronka       p     1  0 0 0   0  1 0   .000  
        J. Borowski  p     0  0 0 0   0  0 0   .000  
        J. Macias    ph    1  0 1 0   0  0 0   .276  
        M. Remlinger p     0  0 0 0   0  0 0   .000  
        W. Ohman     p     0  0 0 0   0  0 0   .000  
        E. Wilson    ph-2b 1  0 0 0   0  0 0   .167  
    Totals                 32 1 8 1   0  7 12   

Batting
    2B - D Lee (22, D Willis); A Ramirez 2 (18, G Mota, D Willis); J Dubois (11, D Willis).
    RBI - A Ramirez (34).
    Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - J Burnitz 1, M Barrett 1, C Patterson 1.
    GIDP - M Barrett, N Perez.
    Team LOB - 5.

Base Running
    CS - J Hairston Jr (7, 2nd base by D Willis/P Lo Duca).

Fielding
    DP - 1 (A Ramirez-E Wilson-D Lee).

Code:
    Player              IP  H R ER BB K HR Season ERA  
    J. Koronka (L, 1-2) 4.1 7 6 6  3  1 0  7.63  
    J. Borowski         0.2 3 2 2  0  0 0  6.48  
    M. Remlinger        2.0 0 0 0  0  1 0  3.78  
    W. Ohman            1.0 0 0 0  0  0 0  1.93  
    C. Bartosh          1.0 1 1 1  1  1 1  5.30
    Pitching
    WP - J Koronka.
    BALK - J Koronka.
    Pitches-strikes - J Koronka 83-49; J Borowski 16-10; M Remlinger 26-17; W Ohman 17-13; C Bartosh 21-11.
    Ground balls-fly balls - J Koronka 7-5; J Borowski 1-1; M Remlinger 4-1; W Ohman 0-3; C Bartosh 2-0.
    Batters faced - J Koronka 23; J Borowski 5; M Remlinger 6; W Ohman 3; C Bartosh 4.

Game Details
    Umpires: HP--Mike Winters. 1B--Bruce Froemming. 2B--Hunter Wendelstedt. 3B--Jerry Meals.
    Time: 2:44.
    Attendance: 38,708.
    Weather: 83 degrees, clear.
    Wind: 12 mph, out to center.
    I aim to try

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Surprising that the 12mph wind didn't blew Juan Pierre out of Wrigley.

AA ERA
    Also, only one HR, kinda surprising.

Willis first in majors to 11 victories with win over Cubs
    June 13, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- Dontrelle Willis was too tough for the Chicago Cubs -- on the mound and at the plate.

Willis pitched seven strong innings to become the first 11-game winner in the majors, leading the Florida Marlins to a 9-1 victory over the Cubs on Monday night.

"I'm just having fun and playing the game the way I know how to play," Willis said.

Willis gave up one run and seven hits, struck out five and walked none. He also had two hits and drove in a run in the fifth, when the Marlins broke open the game with seven runs.

"He's the stopper, the savior and everything else," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said. "I don't care whether we start him or DH him."

Miguel Cabrera, Paul Lo Duca and Alex Gonzalez each drove in two runs for the Marlins, who won for the third time in four games after losing eight of 10. Luis Castillo hit his first homer of the season in the ninth.

Willis (11-2) won his third consecutive start as the Marlins opened a 12-game, four-city road trip, their longest of the season.

Egads, what is theesa team doing! Actually, two losses in a row but I can understand this one. Koronka is not great, a rookie, and Dontrelle is a stud. He pitched like he should.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Marlins cruise as Willis gets 11th win
    Koronka, Borowski implode in 7-run fifth

By Paul Sullivan
    Tribune staff reporter
    June 13, 2005, 11:44 PM CDT

Tuesday will mark 20 months since that fateful day at Wrigley Field when the Florida Marlins scored eight runs in the eighth inning of Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series.

That game-turning, stomach-churning, 27-minute stretch of baseball may be one of the most agonizing events in the Cubs' 129-year history.

But two seasons removed from the heartache, Florida now seems like just another opponent on the Cubs schedule.

Manager Dusty Baker said Monday there really is no rivalry to speak of between the teams.

"I see them as a very good team we have to beat," Baker said. "I don't live in the past like that. I care not to re-live the past hurt or the pain of that time. They beat us. They took it from us."

But Baker and the Cubs were forced to relive the past Monday when Florida posted a seven-run fifth inning as it cruised to a 9-1 victory before a crowd of 38,708 at Wrigley.

Florida ace Dontrelle Willis won his major-league leading 11th game, limiting the Cubs to one run on seven hits through seven innings, and contributed two singles during the Marlins' fifth.

Cubs rookie left-hander John Koronka (1-2) may have cost himself another start, allowing six runs on seven hits and three walks in 41/3 innings.

"Obviously I didn't make as many good pitches as I needed to," Koronka said.

I don't sense any rivalry with the Marlins. Don't have any hate for them at all, in fact I rooted for them after they beat us and I like watching them.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Good Willis haunting, again
    June 14, 2005

BY MIKE KILEY Staff Reporter

First baseman Derrek Lee showed his former Florida teammates what they have been missing when he doubled and scored in the fourth. That was Lee's 49th run this season, more than halfway toward his career-best 95 runs for the 2002 Marlins, and the score was even at 1.

Then again, getting Lee in a steal from Florida in November 2003 for Hee Seop Choi wasn't the only Cubs-Florida trade to tickle the memory banks on Monday night at Wrigley Field. Nor was it the most significant.

Whenever left-hander Dontrelle Willis takes the mound, it's a bittersweet reminder of the gone-wrong trade in the spring of 2002 when the Cubs acquired closer Antonio Alfonseca because Flash Gordon was hurt and also received starter Matt Clement from Florida for reliever Julian Tavarez and a pair of minor-leaguers.

That's all Willis was at the time, a relatively unknown Cubs prospect in the minors, and many applauded getting Alfonseca and Clement with no true knowledge of what Willis eventually would bring to the table. Now that Willis remained the National League's winningest pitcher at 11-2 by beating the Cubs 9-1 in the opener of this three-game series, those forgotten cheers for Alfonseca and Clement are nothing but rotten leftovers.

Willis walked nobody for just the second time this season. In his seven innings, he held the Cubs to a run and seven hits and threw 115 pitches. He struck out five.

''He's gotten a lot better since the last time I faced him,'' catcher Michael Barrett said. ''He mixed up speeds today more than anything else. He kept us frustrated and unable to get many runs.''

Lee = Dontrelle. We each got a star from the other.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Cubs fall prey to big inning, lose opener
    Koronka strong early, but exits amidst seven-run fifth

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- On Sunday night, it was too much Tim Wakefield. On Monday, it was too much Dontrelle Willis.
    Willis became the first 11-game winner in the Major Leagues as the Florida Marlins romped, 9-1, over the Chicago Cubs on Monday night.

Paul Lo Duca and Alex Gonzalez each hit two-run doubles to highlight a seven-run fifth for the Marlins and back Willis (11-2). The Florida lefty gave up one run on seven hits over seven innings and struck out five. He boasts the second-best ERA in the league at 2.06.

"He's definitely gotten a lot better since the last time I faced him," Cubs catcher Michael Barrett said of Willis. "Today, he mixed up speeds more than anything else and I think that's what kept us frustrated and from getting any runs today.

"Dontrelle is 10-2 for a reason, or whatever he is, 20-0," Barrett said.

Rookie John Koronka (1-2) took the loss in his third big league start, giving up six runs on seven hits and three walks over 4 1/3 innings. But this was a much-improved outing for the lefty -- until the fifth.

"To tell you the truth, I felt a lot more comfortable," Koronka said. "My location was a lot better tonight in and out. I was able to make some good pitches. Obviously, I didn't make as many good pitches as I needed to tonight. Dontrelle threw a good game and you can't give up too many runs when he's on his game."

Koronka seemed improved yesterday, but he still didn't seem in control. Even when it was 1-1 I didn't fell we were tied.
    I aim to try