Red Sox, Cubs fans fast friends
Visitors loved playing for fun-loving crowd

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
June 13, 2005

The Cubs probably won't play Boston again at Wrigley Field for several years, but the aftereffects of the Red Sox series may be felt for quite some time.

The series drew more interest locally than any regular-season, non-White Sox matchup since Yankees-Cubs in 2003. Bars and restaurants were jumping all weekend with the road-tripping Red Sox Nation in town, and players and management from both teams agreed the matchup was one that actually lived up to the hype.

"You can't beat this environment," Boston third baseman Kevin Youkilis told the Boston Globe. "I like it even better than Red Sox-Yankees. These fans got along. For me, I can't stand to look up into the stands and see people fighting each other during a baseball game.

"These fans just had fun. They embraced each other. They were nice to each other. It was fun to participate in a game that didn't invite violence."

Twas such an awesome series becase we both understand each others pain, but only a bit. Red Sox have been up and down so much getting oh so close before losing it all, while the Cubs are just sucky for the most part. Personally I root for the Red Sox alot because they are similar to us, but now some Sox fans just seem cocky and arrogant because of last year, but if the year ever comes for us, we will all seem the same I'm sure.