Thread: Wood says shoulder feeling good after first rehab start

AA ERA

Wood says shoulder feeling good after first rehab start

Wood says shoulder feeling good after first rehab start
    June 13, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Chicago Cubs right-hander Kerry Wood made his first rehabilitation start since straining his right shoulder in late April, allowing one run on three hits in three innings for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs on Monday night.

"I've got some things to work on," said Wood, who also tripled in the game against New Orleans. "I just have to keep working and try to get the pitch count up there."

Wood threw 46 pitches -- most in the low 90s -- and had three strikeouts. He did not throw any curveballs.

"I'm not concerned with the gun reading right now," Wood said. "I'm more concerned with making good pitches and repeating my delivery. ... Today I felt fine, but the ball wasn't coming out of my hand was well as I want it to."

Sounds good. I will be glad to see him in Chicago within the next few weeks.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    'Glad to be back out there'
    Wood comfortable in 1st pitching outing since end of April

By Bob Foltman
    Tribune staff reporter
    June 13, 2005, 11:40 PM CDT

DES MOINES -- Kerry Wood had a simple game plan in his first live pitching appearance since April 30—repeat a good pitching delivery over and over.

Wood made his first rehab start Monday night for the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate Iowa Cubs against the New Orleans Zephyrs.

He gave up one run on three hits over three innings. He walked two and struck out three while throwing 46 pitches. He left the game with a 2-1 lead.

The plan was for Wood to throw somewhere between 60 to 65 pitches, Iowa pitching coach Rick Kranitz said before the game. But a 57-minute rain delay ended Wood's night about an inning early.

"It felt all right, felt pretty good," Wood said of his right shoulder

Sucks that there was a rain delay, could have gotten a few more pitches in, but I'll take it.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Kerry good in first rehab stint
    June 14, 2005

BY MIKE MALLOY Special to the Sun-Times

DES MOINES, Iowa -- It's not that Kerry Wood dislikes Des Moines, but he'd just as soon not come back.

"I don't love coming here,'' Wood said Monday night after making the first start of his rehabilitation assignment with the Cubs' Class AAA affiliate. "If I had to, I wouldn't come here, but it's nice when I do get back. The fans are always great.''

A season-high crowd of 12,069 watched Wood pitch three innings in his first competitive start since going on the disabled list May 1 with a strained right shoulder.

Wood, who also had rehab assignments with Iowa in 2000 and 2004, said he felt no soreness after throwing 46 pitches, 28 of them strikes, against New Orleans. He gave up a run and three hits, walked two and struck out three.

"I felt pretty good,'' he said. "It was nice to be back out there in a game situation. You can throw as many side [sessions] as you want to, but you're not going to get that adrenaline back until you've got fans in the stands and a different uniform up there with a bat in their hand.''

Wood's first five pitches were balls, or as he said, "Five of them were called balls, but only three of them were.'' He recovered, picking Brandon Watson off first base and striking out the next two hitters.

While Kerry may not love pitching in Iowa, Iowa loves Kerry pitching in Iowa . That attendence is NICE.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    First rehab start a success for Wood
    Righty allows a run over three innings, triples and scores

By Rob Gray / Special to MLB.com

DES MOINES, Iowa -- They cheered Kerry Wood on the mound, at the plate and on the bases.
    Especially on the bases.

Wood, making his first rehab start at Triple-A Iowa, slid in safely -- stress safely -- for a triple after yielding one run in three innings in an 8-5 win over New Orleans before a crowd of 12,069 at Principal Park on Monday.

"I thought it was a fly-ball out, but the wind carried it far enough to the wall," said Wood, who reached 92 mph on the radar gun. "I was forced to run to third."

The triple was Wood's first in his professional career and came in a game delayed for nearly an hour by rain.

But why slide?

"I didn't want to get thrown out," Wood said.

I can just see Kerry hurting himself sliding. That would suck. Glad he's ok. Crazy he hit a triple .
    I aim to try