Thread: 2005 West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx Thread

AA ERA

2005 West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx Thread

If I ever feel like it I will post the schedule, roster, and links here.

But as I said, that is only if I ever feel like it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    Mississippi edges West Tenn
    June 12, 2005

Jonathan Connolly struck out eight in six innings as three West Tenn pitchers combined to two-hit Mississippi, 2-1, on Saturday night at Pringles Park.
    Rain halted the game with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning, giving the Diamond Jaxx the early victory.

In his third start of the year, Connolly (2-1) allowed just one hit and two walks. Andrew Shipman yielded a hit and a run in 1 2/3 innings, and Talley Haines recorded the last out of the eighth for his 11th save.

West Tenn scored all the runs it needed in the third against Mississippi starter Brian O'Connor (4-3). With the bases loaded and one out, O'Connor plunked Dwaine Bacon, forcing in a run. Ryan Theriot hit a sacrifice fly to right.

Mississippi did not respond until the eighth, when Luis Hernandez led off with a triple and scored on Carlos Duran's sacrifice fly two batters later. Hernandez also had the Braves' only other hit, a line drive single in the second.

West Tenn totaled five hits, with Felix Pie accounting for two of them.

O'Connor took the loss, despite surrendering just two runs on five hits in seven innings. The 27-year-old left-hander struck out seven and walked three. -- Nate Freiberg/MLB.com

Man, I barely know any of these guys. I know Felix Pie though, solid player. Nice to see him get a couple hits .
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Sunday’s Southern League game between the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx and the Mississippi Braves has been postponed due to rain. The game will be made-up at some point when the Diamond Jaxx play the Braves at Trustmark Park June 16-19.

Three game series with Huntsville begins Monday.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    West Tenn tames Hunstville
    June 13, 2005

West Tenn rode a strong performance from starter Carmen Pignatiello and a pair of home runs to beat the Huntsville Stars, 4-2, on Monday night in Huntsville, Ala.

Pignatiello (5-3) got his first win in over a month, going 6 1/3 solid innings, giving up just one run on five hits and two walks while striking out four. He was especially dominant in the first four innings, retiring the first 11 batters faced.

The Diamond Jaxx got all the runs they needed in the first four innings, thanks in part to a couple of long balls. West Tenn had a 1-0 lead when Casey McGehee hit a two-run shot to left center off starter Glenn Woolard (3-6), driving in Matt Murton. Richard Lewis hit his first four-bagger of the year to lead off the fourth.

David Aardsma pitched two scoreless innings in relief, allowing a pair of hits before giving way to Talley Haines in the ninth. The closer notched his 12th save.

Huntsville's Anthony Gwynn lined a RBI single to center to cut West Tenn's lead down to 4-2 in the ninth, but Vincent Rottino went out swinging to end the game. -- Michael Echan/MLB.com

Diamond Jaxx Take Over First Place
    Date Posted: 6/13/2005

The West Tenn Diamond Jaxx are all by their lonesome in the Southern League's Northern Division, thanks to a 4-2 win over the Huntsville Stars and a Carolina loss to Jacksonville. The Diamond Jaxx lead Carolina by one game with seven games left to play in the first half.

Carmen Pignatiello silenced the Huntsville bats, giving up just one run on five hits with two walks and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings of work. Pignatiello (5-3) began the game by retiring the first eleven batters in a row. While Pignatiello was dealing goose eggs through six innings, the offense gave the left-hander four runs to work with. Felix Pie led off the ballgame with a single to right, took second on a sacrifice bunt by Adam Greenberg, went to third on a infield groundout by Matt Murton and scored on a wild pitch by starter and losing pitcher Glen Woolard (3-6). The Jaxx made it 3-0 in the third on a two-run homer by Casey McGehee. Richard Lewis led off the fourth inning with a home run, giving the Diamond Jaxx a 4-0 lead.

Pinch-hitter John Vandenberg gave the Stars their first run with a RBI single in the seventh. Tony Gwynn drove home a run in the ninth off Jaxx closer Talley Haines, pulling Huntsville to within two runs. With two on and two out, Haines struckout Vinny Rottino to end the game, giving Haines his 12th save of the season.

The middle game of the series takes place on Tuesday night at 7:05. Lefty Renyel Pinto (2-0 1.96) takes the mound for the Diamond Jaxx. Huntsville will counter with lefty Ryan Costello (0-2 6.00).

I like Pinto, solid pitcher. Love seeing Felix Pie score runs, reminds me of Juan Pierre's ability to manufacture runs.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Theriot hero for West Tenn
    June 15, 2005

Ryan Theriot's home run made the difference as the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx beat the Huntsville Stars, 2-1, on Tuesday night at Davis Municipal Stadium.
    Theriot's blast was a leadoff shot in the top of the eighth off reliever Brett Evert to give West Tenn a 2-0 lead. That run became crucial in the bottom of the inning as Nelson Cruz doubled in Vincent Rottino, cutting the Diamond Jaxx's lead down to 2-1.

The home run was the first for the slap-hitting Theriot, who has just 19 extra-base hits against 47 singles.

West Tenn starter Renyel Pinto (3-0) turned in a fine performance, shutting Huntsville out through six innings, surrendering five hits -- all singles -- and two walks while fanning six. Closer Talley Haines overpowered the Stars in the ninth, striking out the side for his 13th save.

Ryan Costello (0-3) was the tough-luck loser for Huntsville, despite his best start since getting called up from Class A Brevard County last month. He pitched 6 2/3 innings, giving up an unearned run on five hits and two walks while striking out eight. -- Michael Echan/MLB.com

Diamond Jaxx Hang on to Beat Huntsville 2-1
    Date Posted: 6/14/2005

The West Tenn Diamond Jaxx moved a couple steps closer to winning the first half of the Northern Division with an exciting 2-1 win over the Huntsville Stars. The win, coupled with a Carolina loss to Jacksonville, gives the Diamond Jaxx a two game lead on the Mudcats with six games remaining in the first half schedule.

This game was completely dominated by great starting pitching from Jaxx left-hander Renyel Pinto and Huntsville southpaw Ryan Costello. Pinto (3-0) picked up the win as the Miranda, Venezuela native worked six shutout innings, allowing five hits and two walks while fanning six batters. Costello (0-3) suffered a tough loss as he allowed just one run on five hits in 6 2/3 innings of work. Costello walked two and struckout eight.

The Diamond Jaxx took a 1-0 lead in the first when Ryan Theriot scored on a infield grounder hit by Brandon Sing. Sing would reach on a throwing error by SS Enrique Cruz. The two teams would not get another run until the eighth inning when Ryan Theriot led off the inning with a solo homer just inside the left field foul pole, giving the Diamond Jaxx a 2-0 lead. Huntsville came back with a run of their own in the bottom of the eighth on a RBI double by Nelson Cruz. Talley Haines struckout the first two Stars batters in the ninth inning and induced Guildar Rodriguez to hit a flyball to left-center but Felix Pie dropped the ball, sending the tying run to second. Haines kept cool and calm as he fanned Tony Zuniga to nail down his thirteenth save of the season.

The final game of the three game series takes place on Wednesday afternoon at 12:05 p.m. RHP Jae-kuk Ryu (5-2 3.34) will get the start for the Diamond Jaxx. Huntsville will counter with righty Dana Eveland (6-4 3.03).

Seems like most of the prospects I want to follow are here. Ryu and Pinto are solid pitchers, especially Pinto.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Mobile nips West Tenn
    June 28, 2005

Ronald Merrill Jr.'s bases-loaded walk proved to be the difference as Mobile edged past West Tenn, 2-1, on Monday night.
    Merrill Jr. was the fourth consecutive BayBear to draw a walk in the seventh inning, two from Andrew Shipman (1-4) and two from Tom Atlee, to score the go-ahead run. Merrill finished the game 1-for-2, while Brian Burgamy was 2-for-3 and got credit for the tying RBI.

Mobile got a gritty performance out of its starter, Brian Whitaker (3-9). The right-hander tossed seven innings of one-run ball, allowing four hits and five walks with five strikeouts, two of them with two outs.

Dale Thayer tossed a scoreless ninth to earn his 15th save.

West Tenn got an excellent start out of southpaw Sean Marshall, who held Mobile scoreless through six innings in his second Double-A start, allowing six hits and fanning six.

The Diamond Jaxx scored their lone run in the top half of the fourth when Dwaine Bacon plated on Matthew Craig's 14th double, a fly ball that was out of left fielder Burgamy's reach. -- Michael Echan/MLB.com

Mobile Nips Diamond Jaxx 2-1
    Date Posted: 6/27/2005

Mobile scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to erase a one run Diamond Jaxx lead as the BayBears went on to beat the Diamond Jaxx 2-1 before a Monday night crowd of 1691 fans at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile.

With the Diamond Jaxx in front 1-0, Andy Shipman came on for Sean Marshall, who blanked the BayBears on six hits in six innings of work. Shipman (1-4) retired the first two batters before giving up a base-hit to Casey Baker. Pinch-hitter Jason Clements walked to put runners at first and second with two outs. Shipman then walked Kennard Jones to load the bases. Diamond Jaxx manager Bobby Dickerson brought Thomas Atlee in for Shipman. Atlee walked Brian Burgamy, forcing in Clements with the tying run. Atlee then walked Ronnie Merrill, driving in the eventual winning run for the BayBears.

The Diamond Jaxx had two on with one out in the ninth inning but Dale Thayer retired Casey McGehee on a infield grounder and Buck Coats on a fly to left, ending the Diamond Jaxx last threat. Thayer nailed down his 15th save of the year, saving it for Brian Whitaker (3-9), who worked seven innings. Whitaker allowed a run on four hits.

The final game of the four game series takes place Tuesday night at 7:05 CDT. Right-hander Ricky Nolasco (7-0 2.78) gets the start foe the Diamond Jaxx. Mobile will counter with righty Mike Thompson (5-5 3.51).

Marshall is a solid pitcher, glad to see him doing well at AA.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Murton Powers West Tenn
    Date Posted: 6/29/2005

Matt Murton tripled and homered to lead West Tenn to a wild 6-4, 12-inning win over Mobile on Tuesday night night at Hank Aaron Stadium.

With the BayBears nursing a 3-2 lead, Murton hit a solo homer in the ninth inning to send the game into extra frames. The teams traded runs in the 10th before the Diamond Jaxx broke through with two in the 12th on Matt Craig's two-run single for the win.

Murton opened the game's scoring with an RBI triple in the fourth, coming around to score himself on the play when Kennard Jones bobbled the ball in center field. Nate Theriot went 3-for-5 with an RBI single for West Tenn, while Craig had a double in addition to his game-winning hit.

Corey Smith hit a two-run blast for Mobile, while Brian Burgamy and Steve Baker each parked solo shots. Although he struck out three times, Burgham was the only BayBear with a multi-hit performance.

Former starter Jon Connolly (3-2) had struggled since a move to the bullpen a couple weeks ago, but pitched a scoreless inning to register the win. Andy Shipman followed Connolly to notch his second save.

Mobile's Craig Breslow (2-1) suffered the loss in relief after giving up Craig's two-run single in the 12th. -- Nate Freiberg/MLB.com

I've heard of Murton, not sure where from, but I have heard of him!
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Seven Diamond Jaxx Players Named to the All-Star Team
    Date Posted: 6/29/2005

The Northern Division All-Star roster was set earlier today and the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx secured a Northern Division high seven players for the upcoming Southern League All-Star Game, to be played on July 13th at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. The Diamond Jaxx players named to the All-Star game include SS Buck Coats, former Jaxx closer Talley Haines, 3B Casey McGehee, OF Matt Murton, RHP Ricky Nolasco, OF Felix Pie and RHP Andy Shipman.

Coats has appeared in sixty-seven games, compiling a .310 average with no homers and twenty-six RBI's. Coats has also stolen thirteen bases on the campaign.

Haines was the Diamond Jaxx closer until he was called up to Triple-A Iowa on June 21st. Haines had a record of 4-2 with thirteen saves and a 1.78 ERA.

McGehee has compiled a .305 average with four homers and thirty-two RBI's in sixty-three games played this season. He has also provided solid defense at third base.

Murton is currently second in the Southern League with a .342 average. Murton has hit five homers and driven in thirty-eight runs. Murton is also second in the league with ninety-five hits.

Nolasco has a 7-0 record with a 2.78 ERA. Ricky is third in the league in ERA, tied for fourth in the league in wins and is tied for second in the league in strikeouts with ninety.

Pie has appeared in fifty-nine games with the Diamond Jaxx. He is hitting .304 with eleven homers and twenty-five RBI's. Pie has also stolen thirteen bases.

Shipman has appeared in thirty-one games, all out of the bullpen. The right-hander has a record of 1-4 with one save and a 3.03 ERA.

Great work by these guys. 7 All-Stars is freaking amazing. We still have a lot of solid prospects in our system .
    I aim to try

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Diamond Jaxx? What is that exactly? Minor league teams are struggling for names I guess.

AA ERA
    It's some hardcore new extreme name that inspires fans.

I think it's diamond as in baseball field, and Jaxx as in let's hit some HR's.
    I aim to try

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    man, that is hilarious to say the least. Someone must have been hitting the sauce the day they came up with that name

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pinto didn't make the AA All-Star team?! Pinto absolutely sucks at AAA, but he owns AA.