Nomar to receive World Series ring
Shortstop to be presented with honor in private ceremony

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Nomar Garciaparra got to see his former Boston Red Sox teammates on Friday, but he'll also finally get to celebrate their 2004 World Series championship. He's going to get his ring.
Garciaparra grew up in the Red Sox organization and played for Boston from 1996 until he was dealt to the Cubs last July 31. He is to receive his ring in a private ceremony sometime this weekend.

"There's really no need for it to be public, especially here," Garciaparra said. "I'm in a wonderful place here and this city, this organization, these guys are trying every day to get that ultimate thing -- to get that ring."

That ring is something Cubs fans wanted Garciaparra to help bring to the city of Chicago as well. However, he's been sidelined since April 20 with a groin injury. Garciaparra could hug his former teammates, like Trot Nixon and Johnny Damon, and joke with Red Sox manager Terry Francona during batting practice. But he isn't close to being ready to play.

"It's painful -- my groin hurts," Garciaparra said. "But it is what it is. I would love to be out there playing right now aside from not only the Red Sox being in town, but just not being able to go out there and play."

Cool to see Nomar get a ring. He deserves it. Sounds like he is a long time from playing though. It would be nice to get him back but I hope he doesn't rush it. Will be interesting to see what happens to him this next offseason.