Thread: 2005 Iowa Cubs Thread

AA ERA

2005 Iowa Cubs Thread

If I ever feel like it I will post the schedule, roster, and links here.

But as I said, that is only if I ever feel like it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    Helling, Fielder shut down Cubs
    June 12, 2005

Rick Helling dominated on the mound and Prince Fielder hit two homers as Nashville routed Iowa, 7-1, on Sunday.

Helling (5-3) rebounded from a poor start last Monday by pitching seven scoreless innings, giving up just six hits and two walks while fanning three. In his last start, he gave up five earned runs in six innings against Omaha.

Helling's left arm was impaled by a broken bat in a May 27 victory against the New Orleans Zephyrs. He did not miss a start, despite needing eight or nine stitches to close the wound.

Fielder got the Sounds out to an early lead when he smacked a two-run home run in the top of the first. After Brad Nelson and Mike Rivera hit RBI singles in the same frame, the score remained 4-0 until Fielder went yard once more in the fifth for his 15th homer. He is tied for second place in the Pacific Coast League in homers and he is the Sounds team leader.

Both of Fielder's shots came off Cubs starting pitcher Phil Norton (1-5) who yielded five runs on eight hits and three walks in five innings.

Nashville tacked on two more runs when Brad Nelson scored on Dave Krynzel's sacrifice fly in the sixth inning and Kevin Orie notched his first homer in the seventh.

The Cubs staved off the shutout in the ninth against Sounds reliever Mike Adams when James Hoffpauir doubled and scored on Mark Johnson's sac fly.

Travis Phelps tossed perfect innings of relief for Iowa.

The Sounds took three of four games against Iowa.

Nashville returns home to face Albuquerque at 8 p.m. ET on Monday. Iowa continues its homestand against New Orleans at 8:05 p.m. on Monday. -- Eric Justic/MLB.com

Bleh. Nothing good there to note. Helling not missing a start after getting impaled by a bat is crazy though.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Kerry Wood has been scheduled to make a rehab start for the Iowa Cubs on Monday, June 13, at Principal Park versus New Orleans. Wood has been sidelined from Chicago’s starting rotation since May 1 due to a right shoulder strain. The first pitch for Monday night’s game is scheduled for 7:05. It will be his second straight year making a rehab start in an Iowa uniform, as he started the game on July 6, 2004. Wood recorded the win, going five innings, allowing two hits and striking out four. He was rehabbing an injured right triceps.

I wish they were in Omaha . I'll post the recap afterwords. I could listen on MLB.com, but I'd rather watch the Cubs game.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Rain in Iowa so Wood will likely be done after 3 IP. Only gave up one run on 3 hits I think. Did triple too .
    I aim to try

AA ERA

Wood goes three innings

Wood goes three innings
    June 14, 2005

Major Leaguer Kerry Wood went three innings in a rehab start for Iowa, as the Cubs prevailed over New Orleans, 8-5, on Monday night.
    The Chicago Cubs right-hander gave up one run on three hits and a pair of walks in three innings. He struck out three in the first of a trio of starts scheduled with Iowa. A 57-minute rain delay halted the game in the bottom of the third and Wood was replaced by Ryan O'Malley to start the fourth.

The 1998 NL Rookie of the Year also tripled in the game to account for one of Iowa's 11 hits. Trenidad Hubbard, Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot all had RBI doubles, while Hubbard and Geovanny Soto tacked on bases-loaded walks. Soto also homered in the contest -- his second -- and Nate Frese went 2-for-4 with an RBI single.

Iowa's O'Malley (2-2) got the win in relief, despite surrendering three runs in 3 1/3 innings. Jon Leicester walked a batter in 1 2/3 innings of shutout relief and Jermaine Van Buren delivered a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his seventh save.

After collecting his first Major League hit on Friday after 11 seasons in the Minors, Rick Short homered and hit a sacrifice fly in his return to the Zephyrs. Matt Cepicky and Tyrell Godwin each had two hits for New Orleans, while pitcher Steve Randolph worked a bases-loaded walk to bring in a run.

Ed Yarnall (4-5) took the loss by permitting five runs on seven hits in 3 1/3 innings. The former New York Yankees hurler walked three and struck out three in his 12th start this season. -- Nate Freiberg/MLB.com

Offense looks good. Like Leicster, glad to see him doing well.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Cubs rally past Zephyrs
    June 15, 2005

Ronny Cedeno's two-run double keyed a three-run eighth inning as Iowa rallied for a 6-5 triumph over New Orleans on Tuesday night at Principal Park.
    A costly error by right fielder J.J. Davis opened the door for the Cubs, who handed the Zephyrs their third straight loss. After James Hoffpauir walked with two out, Davis failed to catch Geovanny Soto's fly ball, allowing Hoffpauir to score and prolonging the eighth. Calvin Murray walked before Cedeno doubled to right to drive in the tying and go-ahead runs.

Ben Grieve went 2-for-4 with his seventh homer, while Trenidad Hubbard had an RBI double and Scott McClain a run-scoring single for the Cubs.

Travis Phelps (3-1) picked up the win by striking out five in two innings of relief. Starter Raul Valdez yielded four runs on 10 hits in six innings, while Jermaine Van Buren pitched a scoreless ninth for his eighth save.

In a losing effort for New Orleans, both Rick Short and Brandon Watson went 3-for-5, with Short doubling twice. Juan Melo was 2-for-3 with a double and a pair of walks, while former Cub Brendan Harris went 2-for-4 with a solo homer, his eighth.

Zephyrs starter Chad Durbin yielded two runs on six hits in five innings. Travis Hughes (2-4) took the loss after walking Murray and surrendering Cedeno's double. -- Nate Freiberg/MLB.com

I get the feeling none of our top prospects our at AAA. Koronka will be there soon now.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    HILL LEADS CUBS TO DOUBLEHEADER SWEEP

Rich Hill worked 6.2 innings, allowing just one run on two hits to lead the Iowa Cubs to a 4-1 win and a doubleheader sweep of the Omaha Royals Tuesday night at Principal Park.

The Cubs, who did not have a hit off Omaha starter Shawn Camp for 5.2 innings, tagged Camp for four runs in the sixth, including a two-run home run by Trenidad Hubbard.

The Cubs won seven of the eight games on the home stand and improved to 37-43 with the win. Hill improved to 2-1 with the win and Cliff Bartosh picked up his first save.

The Cubs have Wednesday off before starting a four-game road trip to Oklahoma Thursday.

I like this Hill kid alot, hopefully he continues to progress and can make an impact on the major league level.
    I aim to try