Thread: Cubs Want Brian Roberts

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Want Brian Roberts

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the Cubs could make a run at Brian Roberts after losing out on Kaz Matsui.
    The Orioles wouldn't give up Roberts last year, as owner Peter Angelos vetoed a deal that would have sent him and Hayden Penn to Atlanta for Adam LaRoche and Marcus Giles. If the Cubs come calling, the Orioles would likely ask for Felix Pie. He'd probably be out of reach, but they might still have Sean Marshall, Matt Murton and Eric Patterson as possibilities to pick from.
    Question is what are they going to do with the over-priced Mark DeRosa? He will be about the most expensive utility IFer of all time.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Cubs Want Brian Roberts

I think the Orioles are going to hang onto Roberts. I don't see Baltimore making a lot of deals despite all the rumors about them, and I see them asking for too much from the Cubs for Roberts anyway.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

If they do trade Roberts, they should get a solid reliever, starter and a prospect.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Orioles and Cubs are talking about Brian Roberts trade, with the Cubs reportedly offering two players in return.
    Rich Hill and Eric Patterson? Felix Pie and Sean Marshall or Sean Gallagher? Either would be a high price to pay, but the Cubs desire a fast second baseman after missing out on Kaz Matsui. Talks have progressed far enough that the Orioles are already showing interest in Tadahito Iguchi, according to the Baltimore Sun.
    Pie and Marshall would be more likely. If this happens, the Cubs would have to be the favorite in the NL if they aren't already.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

ESPN's Steve Phillips believes the Orioles would get Rich Hill and Sean Marshall in a Brian Roberts trade with the Cubs.
    We're skeptical of everything that comes out of Steve Phillips' mouth, but there's always the chance that he's right. It has to happen someday. This would be a very good return for the Orioles, though we imagine they're worried about how Hill would fare at Camden Yards.
    The Cubs would be losing 2/5 of their rotation!! I would think Murton and Marshall could get it done. If not, switch Murton and Pie.

AAA ERA

Hill and Pie are two guys that Hendry will not trade unless it's in a blockbuster. Murton will only be traded for lefthander. The Cubs actually like DeRosa, and they aren't just going to give Marshall away. Roberts to Cubs makes ZERO sense. Unless they want to make DeRosa the right fielder. The top three bats in the origizination prospect wise are Eric Patterson (2B), Felix Pie (CF), and Josh Vitters (3B).

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Cubs would be losing 2/5 of their rotation!! I would think Murton and Marshall could get it done. If not, switch Murton and Pie.
    if they made that trade, I'd shoot Hendry myself.

that said, i dont see that possibility happening. Marshall traded? sure. Murton traded with him, sure. Hill AND Marshall traded? not likely. Hendry has been holding on to Hill like he was a pot of gold.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Cubs won't trade for Brian Roberts prior to Opening Day.
    Rosenthal says talks are at an impasse. It's believed the Cubs offered Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher, Donnie Veal and a lesser fourth player for Roberts. Sean Marshall's name has also come up frequently.
    It is surprising this deal never got done but I have no doubt Brian Roberts will not be in an O's uniform come August. I'm not saying he will necessarily be in a Cubs but he won't be an Oriole.

Turn 2

By the trading deadline fan favorite Brian Robers will be no more for the Orioles. All the girls will be whooing Nick Markakis in his place. That is something I know quite well as I obsessed with Markakis when I was in B-More.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hey, Adam Jones is there.

Turn 2

Yeah and Adam Loewen is also there.