Thread: Good Bye LaTroy.

Good Bye LaTroy.

05/28/2005 12:39 PM ET
    Cubs acquire Williams, Aardsma

The Chicago Cubs today acquired right-handed pitchers Jerome Williams and David Aardsma from San Francisco in exchange for right-handed pitcher LaTroy Hawkins and cash considerations.

Williams, 23, has seen action with both the Giants and their Triple-A affiliate this season, working in nine games (eight starts). He spent all of last season on San Francisco's big league roster, going 10-7 with a 4.24 ERA. As such, he was the Giants' youngest pitcher to win 10 games in a single season since 1975.

He has worked 6.0 or more innings in 29 of his 46 career starts, going 17-3 in those contests. In addition, he has surrendered 3 or fewer runs in 34 of his starts and has allowed just 95 walks and 26 homers in 276.1 innings as a starter.

Williams, a native of Honolulu, Hawaii, was a Giants' sandwich pick in the 1999 First-Year Player draft and the 39th overall selection.

Aardsma, 23, is in his third professional season and has gone 13-7 with a 2.86 ERA in 71 minor league contests. He made his major league debut last year after spending just 10 months in the Giants' organization - going 1-0 in 11 relief appearances.

In nine games (eight starts) at Norwich (AA), the Denver, Colorado, native has gone 6-2 with a 2.93 ERA. He has struck out 30 batters and issued just 13 walks and 44 hits in 46.0 innings of work.

Aardsma was a first round draft pick in 2003 (22nd overall) out of Rice University - and helped lead the school to the 2003 National Championship.

Hawkins, who signed as a free agent with the Cubs prior to the 2004 season, has seen action in 98 games as a Cub, going 6-8 with a 2.76 ERA.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Sounds like a good trade. Well, any trade to get LaTroy out of the town sounds good to me.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I wish he could had mroe time here as a set up man because I think he would have worked but I won't miss him too much. Jerome is a solid prospect and could contribute this year and the other guy is a solid prospect as well.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They should make Aardsma go back to being a closer.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AA ERA
    I wouldn't mind seeing that. We need to find someone to close in the future, and while I think Dempster may be that guy for a while, if we can get a top closing prospect it would be great.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

We could probably groom one of our top pitching prospect to become a closer. It seems like we will not have enough spots in the rotation in AA, and most of the pitchers are good, are promising, so just change one's role.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!