Thread: Kosuke Fukudome signs with the Cubbies

AAA ERA

Cubs Kosuke Fukudome signs with the Cubbies

ESPN - Japanese star Fukudome coming to Chicago to play for Cubs - MLB

After deciding to play in the U.S. early Tuesday morning, Fukudome chose the Cubs' offer on Tuesday night, ESPN 1000 in Chicago reported.

The two sides have reportedly agreed on a four-year deal, but the exact dollar amount was still being worked out. Earlier media reports said that the Cubs were willing to pay the career .305 hitter between $12 million and $14 million per season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Kosuke Fukudome signs with the Cubbies

**** you do me... doesn't like your sandwiches.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Cubs were the best choice for him playing in a weaker division and Wrigley Field should help him carry over his power numbers from Japan. The Cubs are trying to separate themselves from the rest of the division.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

i like this signing for the cubs. not too much money considering you have aging guys getting 18+ per.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

What does this say to a player like Felix Pie? Will he be willing to put in his time in the minors just to see his place on the major league roster taken by someone like this or will he want out now?
    Personally, I'd enjoy seeing him in a Twins' uniform. He could add the spark the team needs at the top of the order.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    What does this say to a player like Felix Pie? Will he be willing to put in his time in the minors just to see his place on the major league roster taken by someone like this or will he want out now?
    Personally, I'd enjoy seeing him in a Twins' uniform. He could add the spark the team needs at the top of the order.
    Not really sure where you get your info. Felix Pie is one of the four untouchables in the Cubs organization. For some reason his backup Sam Fuld is currently an untouchable as well. Either way.

LF - 1. Soriano 2. Murton
    CF - 1. Pie 2. Fuld
    RF - 1. Fukudome 2. Pagan

As you can see, Pie is starting everday in centerfield. Fuld is his only backup. Soriano will start everyday in left, and Fukudome everyday in right. Murton, Pagan are the backups. Even though DeRosa and Ward can also play the outfield.

MLB ERA

This is the 100 year anniversary for the Cubs. This is a good first step in breaking that curse.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He's obviously an unknown, but I like the signing. Another offseason of the Cubs getting serious about winning, so good for them.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Pie has plenty of options left, so he cant do any complaining. Not to mention he is going to get a shot at starting in centerfield this upcoming year. fukodome will be the right fielder.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

MLB ERA

I read somewhere that Fukodome is a CF. I guess the source was incorrect. Looks like the Cubs OF will be Soriano, Pie and Fukodome now. That looks pretty impressive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

I read somewhere that Fukodome is a CF. I guess the source was incorrect. Looks like the Cubs OF will be Soriano, Pie and Fukodome now. That looks pretty impressive.
    he wanted to play right field. the white sox they wanted him to play center. That was one reason they didnt land him, despite a larger offer on the table.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Fukudome has been playing really well in his first season with the Cubs. He is currently batting .303 with 21 RBI's. I know he is in the running for rookie of the year, but what are your thoughts about Japenese and other players that play pro ball oversees for years before coming to the major leagues qualifing for the Rookie Of The Year award. In my opinion he should be considered for the award because this is an award for Major League baseball and this is his first season in this league, although he was a professional in other leagues previously. What do you all think?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think they can be considered for the award but will always give a true rookie consideration over a Japanese pro.

MLB ERA

I think it sucks that a seasoned vet can come over to play pro ball in another country and rob a true rookie of the award.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Fukudome has been playing really well in his first season with the Cubs. He is currently batting .303 with 21 RBI's. I know he is in the running for rookie of the year, but what are your thoughts about Japenese and other players that play pro ball oversees for years before coming to the major leagues qualifing for the Rookie Of The Year award. In my opinion he should be considered for the award because this is an award for Major League baseball and this is his first season in this league, although he was a professional in other leagues previously. What do you all think?
    i dont care for it since the japanese leagues are high quality and are seasoned vets over there.

all that being said, he's not even the best rookie on the cubs. Soto will likely get more consideration over Fukodome unless Soto falls off.