Thread: Arod a Cubs player/owner?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Arod a Cubs player/owner?

ESPN - Report: A-Rod could become Cubs player, owner - MLB

According to the magazine, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, has already identified the leading candidate to buy the Cubs and has begun negotiations on a mega-deal. The publication's sources say that the deal could reach $30 million per year over 10 years, with part of the contract deferred toward an eventual stake in the franchise.
    You talk about crippling a franchise. Buster Oleny doesn't buy it for one second and neither do I. No team can afford it, not even the Yankees.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Arod a Cubs player/owner?

Agent Scott Boras said Sunday there's no truth to the New York magazine report that he's contacted a favorite to buy the Cubs and discussed a deal for Alex Rodriguez that would include part ownership of the team.
    John Canning, chairman of private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners LLC, is thought to be the rumored potential owner. "Great players with great demand create great rumors," Boras said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "While I would enjoy having lunch with Mark Cuban and Canning, at this point of the year that conversation would not include Alex Rodriguez. I have not talked to anyone." A-Rod says the whole idea was "nonsense," as far as he knew. It would violate major league rules for a player to have equity or potential equity in a franchise, so anything agreed to couldn't be binding and A-Rod would have to wait until he retires to assume any piece of the team. We agree with A-Rod: the whole report is nonsense.
    It sounded like bullshit and it is.