Peter Gammons: True Genius

In his predictions for this season he has:

NL Cy Young: Pedro Martinez
    AL Cy Young: Randy Johnson

NL Rookie of the Year: J.J. Hardy
    AL Rookie of the Year: Jeremy Reed

NL MVP: NOMAR GARCIAPARRA!!!!
    AL MVP: David Ortiz

He has the Cubs winning the wild card and defeating the Braves and Cardinals en route to losing to the Minnesota Twins in the World Series.

MLB ERA
    Intersting predictions. The Cubs could win the Wild Card or the division if Prior AND Wood stay healthy all season. I have doubts that will happen the way Baker abuses his pitchers.

AA ERA
    Nomar for MVP is possible. If the Cubs do really well he is a legit canidate because he is going to have to do great.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    Nomar for MVP is possible. If the Cubs do really well he is a legit canidate because he is going to have to do great.
    It's only possible because Bonds is on the DL.

MLB ERA
    I actually think Zambrano for Cy Young is more likely than Garciaparra as MVP. That's no slight for Garciaparra either... just props for Zambrano.

AA ERA
    If he finally gets respect then yea. He really has been the best pitcher for us the last 2 years but he isn't going to get the attention he deserves if he is the #3 pitcher.
    I aim to try

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    If he finally gets respect then yea. He really has been the best pitcher for us the last 2 years but he isn't going to get the attention he deserves if he is the #3 pitcher.
    jon, he was 5th in cy young voting last year. not bad considering who he was up against.

Most industry people know who Carlos is.

AA ERA
    Wow never realized he did that good. He still deserves more attention though. On ESPN all you hear about is Prior and Wood and sometimes Zombrano. I think if he got more attention he woulda have done better.
    I aim to try

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Wow never realized he did that good. He still deserves more attention though. On ESPN all you hear about is Prior and Wood and sometimes Zombrano. I think if he got more attention he woulda have done better.
    no he wouldnt have. Johnson or rocketman were guaranteed to win, Roy oswalt had a similar year plus the nice round 20 win figure. and smoltz or gagne had a legitimate claim to the #4 spot.

MLB ERA
    Zambrano will get more attention if he keeps pitching like he has been. Wood and Prior are names that most fans know, but Zambrano is one heck of a pitcher. I'd take him over either of the other two anyday. He's just as good, and less injury prone.

Rookie ERA
    Well Prior deserves to be known since he did come 2nd in the Cy Young race in 2003. The only reason Wood is known is because of his 20 strikeout game, he's never really done anything else that would make him Ace worthy. If I was Dusty Baker, Wood would probably be my #3.

On to Nomar as an MVP, I honestly don't see it. Don't get me wrong, he can easily be the best short stop in the National League this year, but he'd have to beat Albert Pujols. Bonds is going to be eliminated by default. But I don't think Nomar would be able to top Pujols' possible .345 average-45/50 home runs/150 rbi's. He may be able to compete average wise but that would be it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I have Aramis Ramirez winning over Nomar. Pujols has too many guys around him to win it. Bonds missing a month and a half takes him out of the running. But who knows he could have the best 4 1/2 months ever

Rookie ERA
    Even if he has the best 4 1/2 months ever I don't think he would have played enough games to qualify.