Thread: Cubs vs. Astros - 5/24 (recap)

Cubs vs. Astros - 5/24 (recap)

05/24/2005 10:38 PM ET
    Box >
    Cubs put it together for eighth-inning rally
    Mitre goes seven strong in season debut
    By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs weren't sorry to see Roger Clemens leave Tuesday night's game.

Clemens had thrown five scoreless innings, holding the Cubs to two hits. But when he exited because of an injury, the Cubs let out a sigh of relief. And then they went to work.

Jeromy Burnitz hit a two-run single with two out in the eighth inning to lift the Cubs to a 4-2 victory over the Houston Astros, who lost their seventh in a row.

"This was a great team win," Cubs reliever Michael Wuertz said. "That's what it's all about."

Trailing, 2-0, in the eighth, Jason Dubois doubled against Chad Qualls and scored one out later on pinch-hitter Todd Hollandsworth's single. Hollandsworth advanced on a wild pitch by Astros closer Brad Lidge (1-2), who then walked Jerry Hairston. Hollandsworth was forced at third on Neifi Perez's fielder's choice, and Derrek Lee walked to load the bases.

Burnitz then smacked a single to right for the tying and go-ahead runs. Lee scored on a wild pitch by Lidge to make it 4-2. Wuertz (3-2) picked up the win in relief.

"We were just fortunate tonight to get to him," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said of Lidge. "He wasn't as sharp as we've seen him."

"He's lights out usually," Burnitz said of Lidge, whose last save was May 17.

The Cubs were on. Dubois' at-bat was big because it got the inning started. Hollandsworth's was big because he'd been struggling, and entered the game batting .202.

"He's been working at it, trying to make the necessary changes to get his stroke back," Baker said of Hollandsworth.

"You get into a funk, and you certainly want to get out of it," Hollandsworth said. "I'm in a position now where I have to wait for my opportunity to come back around. To get back in that spot, you have to come up with big hits. That's my goal right now, is maximize my opportunities."

Burnitz's at-bat was big because it put the Cubs ahead, and Lee took advantage of Lidge's wildness to score a run and provide a cushion.

"There was a lot of battling to get on base," Burnitz said. "That's what it takes. You've got to get the base runners on to have an opportunity."

Ryan Dempster pitched the ninth for his fourth save. He's starting to get the hang of this closer job.

"I didn't know if [the fans] were cheering for me when I came running in or if they were cheering all the runs," Dempster said. "I tricked myself into thinking they were cheering for me. All the noise is great, and there's an adrenaline rush to have a game like that. Those are games that we were coming up close and coming up short, and now we're winning them."

The Cubs now are 10-9 in one-run games, turning around a record that was well below .500.

"We're moving in the right direction," Hollandsworth said. "Roger was dealing and then Roger gets out of that game, and you say, 'This is an opportunity, and you've got to make something go here.' We were able to put some things together and some good at-bats to make a push and win the game."

The game started as a battle between the young Sergio Mitre and the veteran Clemens, who has 329 more career wins than Mitre. Clemens did extend his scoreless innings streak on the road to 26 innings. He struck out six but was pulled after five innings because of his groin.

"You get excited," Mitre said about facing Clemens. "That's a guy who I've been watching since I was a little kid."

Mitre, called up from Triple-A Iowa for the start, his 12th in the big leagues, gave up two runs on five hits and one walk over seven innings. He struck out five.

What does he have to do to stay?

"The way I look at it is I have to go out and pitch to win another start," Mitre said.

Todd Self walked to open the Houston fourth and reached third on Craig Biggio's double. One out later, Michael Lamb hit a chopper to Lee at first base. Lee threw home, but Self dodged catcher Michael Barrett's tag and was safe.

Morgan Ensberg then hit a comebacker to Mitre, who threw out Lamb at second. The relay to first was late, and Biggio scored for a 2-0 lead.

A win on Wednesday and the Cubs will be back to .500.

"You've got to take it a day at a time," Hollandsworth said. "You need to be feeling good about yourself, and I think we are right now."

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Mitre pitched a great ball game in his season debut. 7 innings, 2 runs, on 5 hits, 1 walk, and he struck out 5 batters. Clemens was unhittable, but left the game early (6th) due to injury with 2-0 lead. The Cubs rallied back in the 8th, with timely hitting, against Brad Lidge. Good game, and good win. This Astros team is 2-21 or something like it, and the next oppenent (the Rockies) has a similar record on the road, so we should be able to get over .500, and maybe pick up one or two games.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I saw some of the end of the game. Great win with the 8th inning!

I sense someone is done with the school year?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Done for 2 weeks.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!