Matt Murton, a mysterious scratch from Saturday's lineup, is again absent for Sunday's game.

The Cubs have Mark DeRosa playing in Cliff Floyd's place in right field. The team said last night that Murton was scratched to so that Floyd could have today off, and it was assumed -- not only by us, but also by the Sun-Times -- that they meant Murton would get the start today. That he's again out of the lineup could mean he's being traded, perhaps to the Orioles in a Jay Payton deal. Payton, incidentally, is not in Baltimore's lineup today.

===

The Cubs and Orioles are discussing a Jay Payton trade, with the Cubs potentially receiving two mid-level prospects in return.

Payton for Matt Murton straight up would be a nice move for Baltimore. Payton makes sense for the Cubs as a more legitimate option in center field than Jacque Jones, though he's best utilized in a limited role. Ideally, he'd start over Jones against lefties and allow Jones to slide over to right whenever Cliff Floyd is dinged up.

===

It seems more than likely, and has for weeks-months now, that Matt Murton is on his way out. In a crowded Cubs outfield from the start, he's never really had a chance. Whether it's poor defense or what, I'm not really sure why he got in the doghouse or what happened, but he obviously hasn't been in the team's plans for awhile.

That being said... for a 25-year-old with a career OPB of .363, OPS of somewhere around .800, and average over .290... in over 700 at bats, Jay Payton is the best we're going to do when we're in the playoff hunt?

I know Murton's value has taken a complete dip compared to last offseason, but here's a guy who could legitimately help the right team, if he gets playing time. I've felt all along if we didn't toy around with him this entire year he would have got it rolling and been one of our better hitters.

My biggest qualm with this proposed rumor is Murton- being one of our few pieces of value that we could use to package for something that could help the team- when he's going one way for a guy like Jay Payton coming the other way, it just doesn't seem like an upgrade. I constantly hear this talk about how the Cubs aren't going to make a deal for the sake of making a deal... then what is this?

Jay Payton is another platoon player... don't we have enough of those? I understand Payton gives us another option in center... but nonetheless.

Anyway, just curious on some opinions on this rumor... Murton for Payton.

Keeping in mind, there could be much more to this trade we don't know.

*edit* brenley and len are talking about murton playing tomorrow, but who knows what they're rambling about. 2-0 cubs wahoo.