Thread: Cubs vs. White Sox - 5/21

Cubs vs. White Sox - 5/21

05/20/2005 6:30 PM ET
    Cubs aim to even score with White Sox
    White Sox (30-12) at Cubs (18-21), 12:20 p.m. CT
    By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

The Chicago Cubs want Carlos Zambrano to focus on his pitching, not his hitting.

On Saturday, Zambrano will start for the Cubs and face the Chicago White Sox in the second game of this three-game Interleague series. He had to leave his last start against Washington because of tennis elbow, which the Cubs believe is a non-pitching injury and related to too much batting practice.

Zambrano has a career 2-1 record and 3.86 ERA against the White Sox, and faced them twice last year.

The White Sox will counter with Jose Contreras, who has never faced the Cubs. However, Contreras is no stranger to Interleague play. He made five Interleague starts last year.

After losing Friday's series opener, 5-1, The Cubs now trail the crosstown Interleague series against the White Sox, 23-20.

"It's a normal game for us. We know what's at stake here," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "We've got one down. We've got five to go."

Pitching matchup
    CWS: RHP Jose Contreras
    • 1-1, 3.52 ERA in 2005
    • Has never faced CHC

CHC: RHP Carlos Zambrano
    • 3-2, 4.09 ERA in 2005
    • 1-1, 3.65 ERA in 2004 vs. CWS

Player to watch
    Henry Blanco may get another start if Michael Barrett can't go. Barrett is bothered by a sore right shoulder. Blanco has made 10 starts so far.

Quotable
    "They wanted to make sure that once I came back here I didn't suffer a setback. If it was my choice, I would have been out of there my second outing [at Triple-A Iowa], but I think in the long run, it's the best thing." -- Cubs pitcher Joe Borowski, who was activated from the disabled list Friday and pitched one inning

interleague 2005
    Complete coverage >

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • CWS: Fox
    • CHC: Fox

On radio
    • CWS: ESPN 1000 AM
    • CHC: WGN 720 AM

Quick hits
    Jeromy Burnitz is 0-for-3 and Jerry Hairston Jr. is 2-for-5 against Contreras lifetime. ... Joe Crede is 1-for-12 lifetime against Zambrano and Scott Podsednik is 4-for-17. ... Borowski was activated from the disabled list and infielder Mike Fontenot sent to Triple-A Iowa on Friday. Borowski made his first appearance since June 4, 2004.

On deck
    • Sunday: vs. White Sox, 1:20 p.m. CT
    • Monday: vs. Astros, 7:05 p.m. CT
    • Tuesday: vs. Astros, 7:05 p.m. CT
    • Wednesday: vs. Astros, 6:05 p.m. CT

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Should be a better game than yesterday's. Hopefully the tennis elbow is gone by now. I really do hope Barrett will be healthy. I just can't stand having Blanco behind the plate, and batting 8th.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

I am disgusted by the bullpen. If Jim Hendry does not do anything about this bullpen soon, then he should just put every valuable players on DL, give them rest of the season off, or whatever. There is no point for them to play with a chance of getting hurt. Rest them up for the next season.
    Corey Should have caught the ball. He closed his glove too early.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I am disgusted the Whiney Sux keep winning.

I still think they will choke when the going gets tough. The Whiney Sux are tin man.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    we suck.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    well, at least the cubs won today. best way to not let the bullpen ruin the game: dont let them pitch! prior threw 126 pitches in the CG 6 hitter. Prior sounded like he would have beat dusty up if he pulled him.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    well, at least the cubs won today. best way to not let the bullpen ruin the game: dont let them pitch! prior threw 126 pitches in the CG 6 hitter. Prior sounded like he would have beat dusty up if he pulled him.
    Thank God! I didn't see the Twins coming back and the White Sox losing to happen today.