Thread: No Deal (Salty for Zambrano)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

No Deal (Salty for Zambrano)

The Braves used to dangle young talent as deadline bait. (Think Melvin Nieves, Donnie Elliott and Vince Moore for Fred McGriff. Think Jason Schmidt for Denny Neagle.) That’s no longer standard procedure. Says McGuirk: “Four or five years ago we changed our approach to go with youth and hustle. … We’re very loath to give up the kids who are the whole future of the franchise.”
    So don’t expect Jarrod Saltalamacchia to be sent to Chicago for Carlos Zambrano (who, coincidentally, will start against the Braves today). Zambrano is scheduled to be a free agent, and the Braves’ new world doesn’t have space for pricey imports.
    Mark Bradley: Braves must fix flaws without big checkbook | Sports Columnists | ajc.com

This is the first I have heard about this idea. But it made sense until I read this article. As Cubs fans, would you guys want something like this? Barrett is pretty good isn't he? At least he was last season. I know Zambrano is off kilter and off hisgame this year, but is it really worth the thought?

MLB ERA

Re: No Deal (Salty for Zambrano)

The Braves don't need Zambrano.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: No Deal (Salty for Zambrano)

uuummm.. I dont think the Braves need him either. He does NOT fit into thier type of player.... The Braves seem to have strong, but positive personality types on their team. Zambrano would be "T.O. or Moss-like" in the locker room.

MLB ERA

The Braves have strict rules for there clubhouse and that is why Zambrano would not fit.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves do need to trade Salty at some point in the season. The Braves have no use for him unless the convert him into a 1b.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Braves do need to trade Salty at some point in the season. The Braves have no use for him unless the convert him into a 1b.
    Which they are trying him out at today. Cox put Salty at 1st in the 7th and he has been taking ground balls at 1st also so it looks like the Braves are going to try him at first.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Zambrano on being on the block:

"If the Cubs want to trade me, it's a business, what can I do?" Zambrano told reporters on Saturday. "I've got to go somewhere else and pitch my game and do my job. Plus, I don't have to see your faces anymore."
    ChicagoSports.com: Big deal may be pitched to Cubs

WOW. I am pretty sure he said those words with a smirk. But he does where his heart on his sleeve. Gotta love that about him. He says he would understand the businesss side of it. I still have to wonder how personal he would take it.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Saltalamacchia is destined to be a 1B with McCann at catcher and no strong options at first for Atlanta. I see him making the transition before long.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Zambrano will be traded in July with everything that has been going on with him and Barrett and Piniella. The Cubs would be foolish to resign him with the way his season is going so far. Get something for him while you can.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Saltalamacchia is destined to be a 1B with McCann at catcher and no strong options at first for Atlanta. I see him making the transition before long.
    Even though his best value comes at C. I'd keep him there and trade him for something they actually need.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Zambrano to TB for Crawford would be some solid starting parimeters I would think.

Just a thought but TB needs the pitching and Chicago desperatley needs OF's. Those 2 match up well IMHO.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.