Thread: Lee appeals punishment by league

Cubs Lee appeals punishment by league

Derrek Lee appealed the five-game suspension issued by Major League Baseball for his part in a scuffle with San Diego's Chris Young and was in the Cubs' lineup against the Rangers on Tuesday. However, hitting coach Gerald Perry cannot appeal and began his three-game suspension on Tuesday. Lee will have a hearing with MLB officials; no date has been set.
    "From what I understand, if you just charge the mound immediately, it's only three games," Lee said. "I don't see what I did is different. That's the only problem I have with it."
    "We'll live with it for now," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "What can you do? That's the process. It hurts us more than it does San Diego, no question. Losing Lee for five games is a big loss to us. You look at a starting pitcher, and he's not going to be doing all that much in four of those five games."
    Lee was upset at a pitch from Young that was at his head and nicked him on the hand in the fourth inning Saturday. The two exchanged words, Lee didn't like what Young said and took a swing at him. Neither player landed a punch, but both benches emptied.
    "I don't like that it happened," Lee said. "I don't know how else it could've been handled. I don't like that it happened, but sometimes things happen."
    He will not call Young.
    "If he called me, I'd talk to him," Lee said. "I'm not going to be reaching out."
    He's replayed the incident in his head.
    "I've replayed it, I've thought about it," Lee said. "You don't want to fight. I'm not a fighter, I don't like to fight. Sometimes you have to protect yourself.
    "It was a situation where I asked him a question, and he answered it," Lee said. "I thought I had to protect myself."
    Lee also said he could see how MLB officials might decide to shorten Young's five-game penalty.
    "To be honest, I think he has a good case to not be suspended, from how I look at it," Lee said. "If he can tell them he didn't throw it at me and can say the ball got away -- he has to defend himself if someone throws a punch at him. To be honest, I don't know why he was suspended."
    Lee does think Young did intend to throw at him.
    "I do," Lee said. "I could be wrong, but I do."
    Perry, meanwhile, does not have an appeal process. Coaches and managers have to accept the penalty issued by MLB.
    "Nobody said anything to me -- they just said I was suspended," Perry said Tuesday. "Actually, I think it's pretty weak."
    Perry said all he did was pull off the guy who jumped on Lee's back.
    "The next thing I know, I got kicked out of the game," Perry said. "I was trying to get the guy off Derrek's back. I didn't want anything to happen to him."
    Who's the substitute hitting coach?
    "Hopefully, we won't need one for three days and we'll just swing the bats," Piniella said.
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Lee appeals punishment by league

its to be expected considering they need to wait on ramirez to come back.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

He got what he deserved. Wasn't he the one that threw the first punch?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    Yes. He started the altercation.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I was just shocked to see him blow up like that. Maybe CY said some things that just burnt him up, but Lee was seriously pissed. Just shocking to me.

Deserved? I think so for sure. But he did get drilled near the dome.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    after nearly getting drilled in the head. Chris Young's words provoked him. realistically, he only deserves a game or two like in the good ol days.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1