Thread: Cubs @ Pirates - 5/18 (recap)

Cubs @ Pirates - 5/18 (recap)

Cubs rally late, hold on for victory
    Chicago secures second straight ninth-inning win
    By George Von Benko / Special to MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- For the second day in a row, the Cubs staged a ninth-inning rally against Pittsburgh closer Jose Mesa. On Wednesday, Chicago posted a 3-2 victory in front of 21,142 at PNC Park.

Mesa endured his second consecutive blown save and suffered the loss, falling to 0-3. Entering the ninth with a 2-1 lead, Mesa issued a leadoff walk to Jeromy Burnitz, who was erased when the Cubs were unable to execute a hit-and-run play.

Michael Barrett doubled to right-center field, and he scored when pinch-hitter Todd Hollandsworth tied the game with an RBI single off first baseman Daryle Ward's glove. Jose Macias drove home Corey Patterson, who was intentionally walked, with a sacrifice fly, giving the Cubs the lead.

Cubs manager Dusty Baker was pleased with the comeback win.

"That was a big win for us," Baker explained. "A couple of weeks ago, we were losing those games. Our guys never quit. I'll tell you, [Pirates starter Kip] Wells threw a heck of a game, and he had us kind of eating out of his hand. [Cubs starter] Glendon Rusch kept us in striking position and our bullpen kept the score the same."

Chicago clawed out a couple of runs in the ninth, and Baker felt it was a great effort.

"Barrett bailed us out with a double," Baker said. "And then a big, big pinch-hit by Holly -- it was his first one of the year -- and then the sacrifice fly by Macias."

Hollandsworth, who had been struggling at the plate, was thrilled to come up with the clutch hit.

"I don't think it really mattered what role I was in," Hollandsworth said. "Right now, it's just about getting my stroke back and getting up there and feeling comfortable, bottom line. This is something I've never gone through -- not this long and not this tough. But today was a good day, no doubt about it.

"I put together a good at-bat right there in a big situation for us, which obviously I felt like I was capable of doing inside, but maybe it wasn't showing on the outside. It was just a situation where I felt like he had to come to me, and I was able to put a good swing on it ... and make something happen. I'm hoping and praying it's the start of good things to come."

The Cubs entered the game ranked 12th in the National League in runs scored, and they appeared to be unable to capitalize on a solid pitching effort from Rusch. The lefty gave up two runs on four hits in six innings, but he was plagued by six walks. Rusch notched seven strikeouts.

Rusch felt the pitching staff kept the Cubs in the ballgame.

"We limited the damage, and it gave us a chance later on," Rusch said. "[Wells] threw so well that two runs was probably going to hold up, and we were able to snatch a couple back."

Wells gave up one run as he stymied the Cubs on four hits over eight innings. Wells recorded six strikeouts as he got a hard-luck no-decision for his effort.

Pittsburgh jumped on Rusch for a run in the first inning. Jack Wilson tripled, then came home on a sacrifice fly by Ward. The Pirates upped their lead to 2-0 in the second. Pittsburgh was aided by three walks issued by Rusch. Third baseman Ty Wigginton drew a leadoff walk, then came home on a sacrifice fly by Matt Lawton.

The Cubs tallied against Wells in the eighth inning. Pinch-hitter Ben Grieve drew a walk. Mike Fontenot was inserted as a pinch-runner, and he eventually came around to score on a sacrifice fly by Neifi Perez.

Reliever Michael Wuertz got the win, upping his record to 2-1.

Ryan Dempster pitched out of a ninth-inning jam to record his second save of the season. With the bases loaded and one out, Dempster got Wilson to hit into a game-ending double play.

"The thing that [stunk] for me was giving up a leadoff double in a one-run game," Dempster said. "If it's a two- or three-run lead, you don't even care about him."

The Cubs now have a modest two-game winning streak as they head home to open a three-game weekend series with the White Sox.

"It was a good two days here, especially when you beat Mesa two days in a row," Baker said. "I don't know when the last time [that happened], but we'll take it. Like I said, we certainly needed that game big time."

George Von Benko is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Even though Jerry Hairston Jr. made an error in the 9th with one out, but he did make a great play to preserve the win, catching a horrible throw by Marcias from third base.
    Another great come back win by the Cubs. Everyone played their role well.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    eh, hairston doesnt get a pass. Screwing up the first play was inexcusable, even if he was screened by sanchez.

i think i got a few grey hairs there in the ninth.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Nah, the first play he was invovled was the bad throw from Marcias.
    Dempster did great to finish the game.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!