Thread: Hairston's out, Cedeno's in.

Hairston's out, Cedeno's in.

05/15/2005 1:35 PM ET
    Notes: Hairston out, Cedeno in
    Ramirez out with tight back; Dempster not keen on swing role
    By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- Ronny Cedeno was in the Chicago Cubs' starting lineup on Sunday, which meant Jerry Hairston Jr. was on the bench.

Cubs manager Dusty Baker had hinted he would give Cedeno more playing time because Hairston has been scuffling. Hairston, who is batting .255 in 30 games with one RBI, is the first to admit the first month isn't what he expected.

"Obviously, I haven't played the way I'd like to play," Hairston said Sunday. "If I put things in perspective, I'm hitting .250-something. It's not like I'm hitting .150. I'm still scrapping and I may not be playing to my capabilities, but I'm still fighting.

"I think the main thing is getting comfortable [with] the league, too. I have to continue to work hard because I know things will definitely turn around."

This spring, Hairston wasn't sure how he would fare if he wasn't playing every day. When second baseman Todd Walker injured his knee on April 10, Hairston became a full-time player. He's had opportunities.

"That's what's been the disappointing part," Hairston said. "You're going to have your great months, and you're going to have your bad ones. If you play a six-month season, you're going to have great months and bad months.

"Last night, I put it in perspective -- I've been playing bad, but I'm still in the mix," he said. "I'm proud of that. I'm definitely capable of getting hot. I have to continue fighting and working hard. It will click."

It will be tough to do from the bench. Baker wouldn't say how long he'd play Neifi Perez at second and Cedeno at short.

Hairston said switching out of the leadoff spot isn't the reason for his dropoff. He said it doesn't matter where he hits. However, the National League does create a different situation for him.

"That's the biggest difference, being in this league is when you're leading off and the pitcher is ahead of you," Hairston said. "Even when they're on, they don't want to run. It's been difficult."

He's 4-for-17 with runners in scoring position with one RBI. He's aware of the numbers.

"I know I've gotten hits with runners in scoring position, but it's been a one-hopper to a fielder," Hairston said. "[Saturday] was a perfect example. I don't have that many RBI opportunities. When you're in the leadoff spot, you don't have that many chances."

That doesn't mean he's exempt. Hairston knows his job.

"If a guy's in scoring position, my job is to knock him in," Hairston said. "It just hasn't worked out."

It's not for lack of trying. Hairston is one of the first in the batting cages.

"Nobody's harder on me than I am on myself," he said. "To have one RBI and I'm approaching 100 at-bats, that's tough to do. It just hasn't worked out. I can turn around and have 10 RBIs in a week. I'm still having decent at-bats, not great at-bats, but good at-bats. I'm one or two games away from hitting .300. I've played bad and I'm still hitting decent."

Cedeno, who batted .279 last season at Double-A West Tenn, was making his third start for the Cubs on Sunday.

"I want to be a regular," Cedeno said, "but I have to wait for the chance. When [Baker] gives me the opportunity, I'll take it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aches and pains: Third baseman Aramis Ramirez was a late scratch Sunday because of a tight lower back. Ramirez sat out Wednesday's game because of back spasms. He is batting .250 with seven homers and 18 RBIs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filling in: With Carlos Zambrano bothered by a sore elbow, the Cubs may need another starter this coming weekend against the Chicago White Sox. The Cubs were using a four-man rotation since moving Ryan Dempster into the closer role. Zambrano is scheduled to open the Interleague series on Friday.

Dempster has made six starts, but he doesn't want to bounce back and forth between the 'pen and the rotation. If Zambrano can't go, Dempster is hoping the Cubs find someone else.

"I think when they made the decision to send me down to the bullpen, that's what we were going to do," Dempster said. "Hopefully, it won't be the worst scenario, and everything will be fine and dandy."

Plus, Dempster still isn't sure what his arm can do after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in August 2003.

"I don't think my arm can handle being a swing man," he said. "I've already proven my arm's not made out of rubber."

Tourist spots: Michael Barrett knew he wasn't going to be starting on Saturday, so he took advantage of being in Washington, D.C., and toured the sites with his wife and young daughter, Grace.

"I wanted to have pictures of the baby at the nation's capital," said Barrett, who snapped shots outside the White House, Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

When the Cubs played Baltimore in an Interleague game last year, some of the players were able to visit Washington but didn't have the time he did on Saturday.

"It's cool just to be able to experience this," Barrett said.

Family matters: It's been a hectic weekend for Jason Dubois, who had to entertain family and friends from his hometown of Virginia Beach, Va. However, he will go back to Chicago with some extra bottles of Mini's Barbeque Sauce and Marinade, which is made by his uncle, Frank Malbon. Malbon's nickname is "Mini."

"It's the only sauce we use," Dubois said.

He made sure to give a bottle to food-expert Baker.

Minor matters: Walker went 0-for-3 in his first start for Triple-A Iowa, part of his rehab assignment. Walker, out with a sprained left knee, was to play Sunday for Salt Lake. Joe Borowski, also on rehab assignment, walked one in one inning of work. Darren Oliver started for Iowa and gave up six runs on nine hits over six innings in the 6-2 loss. ... Jae-Kuk Ryu gave up three runs on eight hits over seven innings as Double-A West Tenn beat Chattanooga, 7-3. Felix Pie was 2-for-4 with a home run, double and a stolen base. ... Sean Marshall threw seven scoreless innings and struck out nine, but Class A Daytona lost, 3-1, to Lakeland. ... Bo Flowers was 2-for-4 with a solo homer and a two-run single as Peoria defeated Burlington, 7-4.

On deck: The Cubs have Monday off before opening a two-game series at Pittsburgh. Mark Prior will pitch on Tuesday and Glendon Rusch on Wednesday at PNC Park.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Now resigning Matt Clement at 8 million per year does not sound bad at all.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!