Thread: Chicago Cubs spring training discussion

MLB ERA

Cubs Chicago Cubs spring training discussion

I'm going to try to generate some topics/discussion around here. I know we had a news thread, but it hasn't been posted in for nearly 3 weeks.

Anyway, I'm going to sticky this. I will also try to make some topics worthy of discussion in the coming days. Basically as they pop into my head, or something pops into the headlines that I feel would be good to discuss.

For now, use this thread to discus little spring training tidbits that don't warrant their own threads. Essentially an updated "Chicago Cubs news" thread for spring training.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Prior and Wood set to make their collective spring debuts Monday. That's pretty cute, but keeping their history in mind disaster just pops into my head immediately when I think of the odds of them actually being healthy and pitching on the same day.

I remember being at a double header where they both pitched on the same day (seperate games, but still). Wood started the first game, Prior the 2nd. In '04 I think? Split the games. I forget who they played, Padres maybe. But it was literally below 30 degrees outside with a horrible wind chill. Somehow we lasted through both games nonetheless.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Cute? Haha, I like that. Good word for that nick. Honestly, as a Reds fan I should hate to see these guys ever get it together. But I still want to see it badly. I think moving Wood to the pen was a great move. Hopefully it works out for you guys.

MLB ERA
    Thanks bro. Good luck to the Reds in '07 too.

I'd like nothing more than to see them get it together... alas, the odds of them pitching in a game together at the same time while healthy (tomorrow)? That's just astounding! But hey, it's a new year, a new manager, fresh slate... hopefully something will happen. Wood's getting up there in age, and I agree a move to the pen was the move that needed to be made. Perhaps he will be able to revert back to the rotation in the future ala John Smoltz even, but for now if he can contribute from the pen, his current contract is a bargain.

As for Mark, he's still young and has a ceiling full of potential. It's just staying healthy and getting it all back together. I'd just hate to see it come together with a different team, which is my biggest fear...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh God, as much patience that the Cubs have had with both Wood and Prior, I would hate to see them go elsewhere and succeed. That would suck.

Are you going to be watching/listening to the game?

MLB ERA
    Kerry Wood turned in a perfect inning Monday in his first appearance of the spring.
    He struck out one. The Cubs will want to be very careful with Wood at the begining of the year, so throwing him right into the closer's role probably isn't going to be an option. Still, if he can stay healthy, it'd be a surprise if he didn't overtake Ryan Dempster later on.

Mark Prior gave up three runs and four hits in 1 1/3 innings Monday against the Mariners in his spring debut. He walked two and struck out none.
    Prior just couldn't keep his pitches down today and paid the price. As long as he didn't feel any soreness, it still has to be considered a positive first step. However, the Cubs aren't going to hand him a rotation spot if he struggles all month.

Felix Pie went 3-for-5 and scored two runs as the Cubs' leadoff hitter Monday in a 6-5 win over the Mariners.
    Pie is 5-for-10 with two stolen bases. With the Alfonso Soriano-to-center field experiment off to a good start, it's unlikely that Pie will make the Cubs out of spring training. Maybe, if he keeps this up, there's a chance the Cubs will once again explore the market for Jacque Jones.

Mark Prior admitted he wasn't finishing his pitches while getting roughed up by the Mariners on Monday, but he said after the game that his arm felt good.
    "The most important thing for me is this is the first time in almost 2 1/2 years I wasn't more worried about my arm than facing batters," he said. Unfortunately, Prior was only topping out at around 87 mph today. He'll throw harder than that once he gets some more work in, but the dominant Prior of old isn't likely to make an appearance anytime soon.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    expect to see prior begin the season in iowa as he struggled again today in his two innings of work. Something like 4 runs allowed, 4 hits and 3 walks.

eh, he needs a wakeup call and going to iowa should provide it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    yea, his stuff is really down too from the brief tidbits i've read... but on the bright side, it seems like he's actually healthy. maybe if he can get his shit together, work on his mechanics for a little bit, and built up some stregnth, he'll still be able to contribute 120 innings this year. it doesn't take a ton to get by in the national league as a 5th starter, and while mark prior barely getting by as a 5th starter is a depressing thought, you never know... maybe he'll get it together. who knows.

=====

-- on another note, angel guzman looking more and more like a possibility to begin the year in the 5 slot though. it'd really be nice to see this kid get it all together. throwing in the upper 90s, going to get a start next time he pitches.

it'd be nice to see him get a shot to begin the year in the 5th spot. finally healthy, beginning the year in the majors might be a big thing for him. and his ceiling is much higher than wade miller's at this point obviously.

the guy averaged more than 9 k's per inning last year to boot. granted, it came along with an 0-7 record and era around 7.00... but he's got good stuff.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat