Thread: Zambrano Signs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Zambrano Signs

Cubs agreed to terms with RHP Carlos Zambrano on a one-year, $12.4 million contract.
    Zambrano was asking for $15.5 million, while the Cubs were offering $11.025 million, and the case was set to be heard Tuesday afternoon. That Zambrano settled for so much less than the midpoint could be a sign that he's optimistic a long-term deal will get done soon.
    If he pitches like he can in 07, he will make more than Zito.

AA ERA
    Your right, he could easily command a 10 year, $200 million contract if last years market was any indication of where things will continue to head.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    With all the money the Cubs were throwing out this year, I am surprised they didn't fork out a hefty LTD for him. Does this mean they are going for an all or nothing approach in '07?

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    With all the money the Cubs were throwing out this year, I am surprised they didn't fork out a hefty LTD for him. Does this mean they are going for an all or nothing approach in '07?
    That may very well be the case but I believe the Cubs will make a big push to resign him, now whether or not they will give him what he is going to ask is another question.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Zambrano has a temper on the mound, imagine what it is like when he is talking money. I don't know if it is an all or nothing approach, but I still am wondering why they didn't lock him up. This guy is definitely the staff ace and has made his mark umongst some of the best arms in baseball. If you could lock him up at a biased discount, you do it.

So maybe they are having to pinch pennies a bit after their huge offseason. I wonder if this will bite them in the butt come trade deadline this year.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    if you read the articles, you would know what the case is: they are negotiating a 5 year deal. The cubs wont go over 5 years, nor should they. He'll probably sign for somewhere between 73 (oswalt) and 90 (zito's worth after 5).

you sign the one year deal first to avoid arbitration. Then you sign the long term deal, which is what they are negotiating right now.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I honestly can't see Zambrano staying with the Cubs. Next year's market is thin on pitching. Zambrano and Buehrle are going to get most of the attention. The Cubs will have to make it to the playoffs for Zambrano to stay. This of course is if Zambrano is smart which I don't think he is considering some of his injuries

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Good signing for the Cubs. Now they must keep his head screwed on straight (good luck with that task). I hope they had anger management or counseling including in that contract. haha!! He is an awesome pitcher, this is the best Cubs off-season move IMO!!!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    It will be interesting to see if the Cubs can afford to keep Zambrano after they threw money around at mediocre players like Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, and Mark DeRosa this offseason. If not they have only themselves to blame.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    If they cant afford to resign Zambrano then the entire FO needs fired including the owners. That would take shear stupidity not seen ever in baseball.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes