Thread: Closer Situation

Closer Situation

Out closer problem is solved:

05/08/2005 6:30 PM ET
    Dempster pitches in as Cubs closer
    Right-hander has been starter for most of his career
    By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Ryan Dempster was originally scheduled to start Monday night for the Chicago Cubs. Instead, the right-hander is now the Cubs' new closer.

"It's exciting," Dempster said after Sunday's game. "I'll just go out there and take whatever opportunities I can and do the best at it."

Dempster came close to getting his first shot in the ninth inning on Sunday. The Philadelphia Phillies had a runner at third with two outs against starter Carlos Zambrano, and Dempster was warming up in the pen.

Zambrano struck out pinch-hitter Jose Offerman to end the game, giving the Cubs a 2-1 victory and ending their losing streak at seven games.

"It's not fair to Carlos to go to Dempster right away, and it's not fair to Dempster to go to him right away because he's never closed and been in that situation," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "You'd prefer to break him in with a three-run save, not a one-run save with Bobby Abreu coming up there. We're going to make it work. I'm just glad the monkey's off our back."

This offseason, Dempster was rumored to be in line to close for the Cubs. Because of injuries this spring to Kerry Wood (shoulder) and Mark Prior (elbow), Dempster was stretched out and inserted into the rotation. The Cubs didn't want to begin the season minus three starters.

Dempster (1-3, 5.35 ERA) has been a starter his entire career, and pitched in relief last season as part of his comeback from Tommy John surgery.

"I think Dempster can do anything," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said of the right-hander, who definitely has the right makeup for the closer job.

"You have to be a little different, usually on the crazy side, and not take yesterday's blown save into today," Baker said when asked to describe the mentality needed for the role.

Different? That's an understatement as far as Dempster is concerned. He rode into the clubhouse on Saturday on his mountain bike, and was giddy about meeting actor Will Ferrell, who sang during the seventh-inning stretch on Saturday.

"They always say I have the makeup for that," Dempster said. "I don't know what that is."

He'll have to change a few things.

"More Red Bull," he said of the energy drink. "As a starter, I just had to drink one before the game. Now I've got to drink one before every game. My caffeine intake is going to go up.

"Obviously, you have to alter your routine a little bit and go out there and be prepared every day," Dempster said. "As a starter, you have four days off."

The move may only be temporary. Joe Borowski threw two innings in relief on Saturday for Triple-A Iowa, and will now take two days off before going back-to-back days. Borowski has been efficient in his two previous rehab outings so far, needing just 18 pitches in two innings over two games. On Saturday, Borowski faced seven batters and gave up one run on one hit.

Relievers Will Ohman, Roberto Novoa and Michael Wuertz all have closed games, but Baker would prefer someone with more experience.

"It's different in the Minors. You don't see blown saves everywhere like you do in the Majors," he said. "It's attitude more than anything."

Dempster got the word Saturday night that his role had changed. His first save this year won't be the first of his career. He was 2-for-2 in save situations last year, notching saves on Sept. 15 and Sept. 21, both against Pittsburgh.

"I think it's kind of indefinite," he said of his new role. "I don't want to be bouncing back and forth, and I don't think they have that plan either. It's hard on anybody's arm, let alone someone coming back from surgery."

The right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery in August 2003, and said that he feels strong enough to be able to handle back-to-back outings.

"I hope nobody judges me on my first week, unless I go seven-for-seven. Then go ahead, you can judge me," Dempster said. "This is new for me. I did it a little bit last year, and it's definitely an adrenaline rush."

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    print this pageprint this page"

The only problem is our starting pitching, we now have Jon Leicster in the rotation, who has a 7.50 ERA.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Dempster? The closer?

How long before they give up on him?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    Dempster? The closer?

How long before they give up on him?
    this is only a temporary solution methinks.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

I think as soon as we get an actual closer. A pitcher whose job is to close games, not to set up game or whatever.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Cubs just signed Darren Oliver. I think the Cubs problems are over.

AAA ERA
    hey you guys could have graves.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan30
    NO!!!

I think Dempster could work. I'm hoping we just manage until Joe gets back.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan30
    NEVER. I think I am fine with dempster right now. Hopefully he will do better. Say no to Graves.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!