Thread: Kerry Wood.....Done For Year?

Cubs Kerry Wood.....Done For Year?

According to the Chicago Sun Times........

CLEVELAND -- After running smack into another pitching wall Tuesday, Kerry Wood's future is more stalemated than ever. No one is prepared to say when he will pitch again for the Cubs this season. The possibility exists that he has pitched his final game in a Cubs uniform.

Wood was stopped short Tuesday afternoon in a simulated game at Jacobs Field, encountering more tightness in his right shoulder once he threw his 67th or 68th pitch. It forced him to shut down 70 pitches into the drill. Wood's last big-league game was June 6, when he lasted only 3-2/3 innings and 75 pitches in a 4-1 loss to the Houston Astros.

Even if he never pitches again in 2006, Wood can depart after the season as a free agent and might attract some interesting offers from pitching-poor clubs that would gamble on him with an incentive-laden contract.

Wood, 1-2 with a 4.12 ERA in four starts this season, is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list this weekend in Minnesota. But pitching coach Larry Rothschild said Wood won't pitch Sunday, which was a possibility if he looked strong in the simulated game.

Trainer Mark O'Neal said Wood eventually will be tested in another simulated game or might have to undergo another rehab assignment in the minors.

"Without question, we will have another simulated game or a game out on rehab,'' O'Neal said.

Wood wasn't at his locker when the media was allowed into the clubhouse before the game. Later, a team spokesman said it was a good day to leave him alone when reporters requested an interview.

Manager Dusty Baker called Wood "distraught'' at his continuing inability to bounce back from surgery last August on his right shoulder by Timothy Kremchek.

Baker also ended speculation that Wood might find a second life as a reliever, as he did last season before having the surgery. The aftereffects from the arthroscopic procedure make it too difficult for Wood to warm up in the bullpen in time to be considered in that role, Baker said.

"It's not a consideration at this point because he has to go through a lot to get ready to pitch,'' Baker said. "Naturally, Woody wants to pitch. He's a little distraught about it. He wants to help us get back in this thing. We have to do what's best for him, best for us and hope simultaneously we can come together. It is what it is.''

Rothschild said the bullpen isn't an option, as it was last season.

"It's a lot different because of the surgery,'' Rothschild said. "Even if you got him up an inning before he would come in a game, he still might not be ready.''

No one wants to face the big question head-on. Could Wood just be unable to fight through this situation, making it impossible for him to pitch again this season?

"That possibility is always there,'' Rothschild said. "But he needs to keep going. We are going to keep throwing. The only way we stop is if the arm says we can't. It takes time with these things. As a player, until you get through it and know you're OK, there is always going to be a little bit of doubt.''

Rothschild said Wood ran into physical problems Tuesday around his 67th or 68th pitch.

"He's pretty good until he gets to that point,'' he said. "It's still a matter of building it up. It's realistic to think he can do it, but it remains to be seen.''

Because Wood has a history of high pitch counts when he is healthy, that also complicates any idea of a smooth comeback when he is physically impaired.

O'Neal said Kremchek and Cubs doctors Stephen Gryzlo and Stephen Adams conferred Tuesday to debate their next step. But O'Neal couldn't specify what it might be.

"The first 50 or so pitches, he felt normal, very good,'' O'Neal said. "Then we kind of hit -- I don't want to call it an inevitable wall -- but we kind of hit that level where he started to get back into some of the sensations he was feeling in his last two starts.

"As far as fatigue and not being able to put a lot on the ball. We have been on the phone all afternoon trying to figure out what our next step is and what we are going to do. Alternatives are we have to see if he can throw a bullpen [session] Thursday or Friday.

"I hate to see it as a total negative. For me, a positive is that he got through 50 pitches as well as he has in any start. But the fourth inning, he had a tough time.''

Everybody keeps trying to spin this into a feel-good story. But it's feeling worse and worse the more it drags on.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the closer's role, Kerry!
    rf28

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Welcome to the closer's role, Kerry!
    he has to be able to pitch 2 days in a row, if not 3. if it takes him 30 minutes to get ready for throwing after 5 days rest, what makes anyone think he can perform a role like that?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think it might work. It is almost obvious to me that he can't be a starting pitcher for a whole season. He definitely has the talent to be one of the best, but just cannot stay healthy. A bullpen role may be his calling. I would hate to see him give it all up and just quit though. What a waste of great talent that would be.

I say the bullpen could be his savior.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I think it might work. It is almost obvious to me that he can't be a starting pitcher for a whole season. He definitely has the talent to be one of the best, but just cannot stay healthy. A bullpen role may be his calling. I would hate to see him give it all up and just quit though. What a waste of great talent that would be.

I say the bullpen could be his savior.
    did you not read what I wrote? and what most people here in chicago know is that he cant pitch back to back days. if he breaks down after 60 pitches in one outing, how is that going to help? he may only need to throw 15 in one inning (if hes lucky) but dont forget the warmup throws. those throws most definitely do take a toll on a shoulder that is cooked.

forget the bullpen idea until he can throw comfortably three days in a row (or 3 of 4)
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I see what you are saying man for sure. But we can't count out a bullpen showing. But maybe they can hold that off for next season or someone who will acquire him this offseason could use him this way.

The thing is he is obviously hurt right now. And when he is a starting pitcher, he is throwing 100 pitches every 5 days. That is a lot different than being healthy and recovered (say next year) and only throwing around 30 pitches a day for a max of 3 days in a row. Thats 90 pitches over a span of three days. It may work out for him, or it may be a bad thing. We won't know until he is healthy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    In regards to your last sentence, he is never healthy and we will NEVER know! At least the Cubs won't!