Thread: Conine deal on hold

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Conine deal on hold

Conine deal on hold
    The Orioles have had serious discussions about trading Jeff Conine to the Chicago Cubs for a pitcher, but any deal is likely on hold until the health of the club improves, team and industry sources said.
    With Roberts, Javy Lopez and David Newhan on the disabled list, the Orioles would be left short-handed without Conine, who has started 15 games at first base and 11 in left field. His versatility interests the Cubs, who are looking for a right-handed bat with Derrek Lee injured.
    The two clubs also discussed Kevin Millar , but the Cubs prefer Conine, according to an industry source, because he is a better defensive outfielder.
    Conine, 39, would have to approve the trade because he signed with the Orioles as a free agent in the offseason and under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, no player who signed as a free agent can be traded before June 15 without his consent.
    Asked about the potential deal before last night's game, Conine said, "I haven't heard anything about it." He said that if the Orioles approached him about a deal, he'd consider it.
    Conine signed a one-year, $1.7 million deal with a $2 million mutual option that vests if he makes 450 plate appearances. He has 104 through last night, when he hit his fifth home run of the season. In return for Conine, the Orioles would probably seek left-handed bullpen help such as 28-year-old Will Ohman, who is 1-1 with a 8.31 ERA in 14 games. He was 2-2 with a 2.91 ERA in 69 games last year. The Cubs' Double- and Triple-A teams are also stocked with lefties.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

I never knew these talks were going on.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Nor should these talks go on. Conine is struggling!

AA ERA
    Nor should these talks go on. Conine is struggling!
    Agreed. The Cubs need to look else where.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    thats what i am thinking too. like we really need one more struggling batter?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    You can have Pedro Feliz for Scott Williamson. Wait no more struggling hitters! Shit!