Thread: Hendry gets a 2 year extension

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hendry gets a 2 year extension

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry received a two-year contract extension through the 2008 season on Saturday, and one of his first orders of business will be to keep manager Dusty Baker beyond the 2006 season.
    "It's a great, great franchise that I'm proud to represent," said Hendry, 50, who was named the general manager in July 2002. "Unfortunately, we didn't do the job the last year or so like we planned," Hendry said. "We'll continue to do the best we can to get back on the track that we were on and moving forward. I think we have a great future ahead of us. Hopefully, we'll continue to play well out of the gate. I'm very fortunate to be here."
    http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=chc

Well he is pledging to keep his manager on board. Is this a good look for the future of this organization? I think these two have done a pretty solid job for this team. Hendry has been able to put together a contender during his tenure and he should be able to continue that. I think this can only be seen as a positive from Cubs land.

AAA ERA
    I guess we know now who gets the boot if the Cubs don't win. It looks like it good-bye Dusty!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What did Hendry do to deserve an extension?
    rf28

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    What did Hendry do to deserve an extension?
    lets see, he upgraded the bullpen this year. He's the one who also put together the 2003 squad which included the kenny lofton/aramis ramirez deal. and He also foisted Hee Soip Choi off on the marlins in return for derrek lee.

He's had some failures, but he hasnt totally screwed the pooch.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, and the Cubs still suck. The Year of the Bartman was the closest the Cubs will be to the WS for a while.

Hey, at least you can share your misery with the Reds.
    rf28

Rookie ERA
    I was shocked when Hendry didn't go after a big left-handed bat this offseason, it's really something they need. He's done a solid job, but with this team and their legions of fans wanting a title (moreso then ever after the other side of town took one home), I'm not quite understanding this extension either. But we're talking about the Tribune company, who really has never done anything to make this team better, just taken steps to keep butts in the seats.