Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hee Seop Choi picked up by Sox off of waivers

MLB ERA
    He is average at best, but he will help the Red Sox depth, and if you watched the baseball classic, you know he's worth the risk.

There's absolutely no way this can be a bad move. It can be neutral, he can suffer a career ending injury or simply not play, but what is he to the Sox? 750k, a roster spot, and a waiver claim? For younger depth on a team with no real 1B prospects? I'll take it.

I expect nothing great out of him, but no way this can be a bad move and I think he would do well if given a shot.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Lance Niekro and Nomar Garciaparra are so much better than Choi, it makes me laugh.

MLB ERA
    Know what also makes me laugh?

Mike Matheny making 9.5 million.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    There's absolutely no way this can be a bad move. It can be neutral, he can suffer a career ending injury or simply not play, but what is he to the Sox? 750k, a roster spot, and a waiver claim? For younger depth on a team with no real 1B prospects? I'll take it.

I expect nothing great out of him, but no way this can be a bad move and I think he would do well if given a shot.
    If you put it that way, of course he means nothing to the Red Sox unless he makes a Buckner-type error. He was expected to be the starting 1b for LA like Trot Nixon was expected to be better than a platoon rightfielder, so excuse me while I help myself to more Haterade.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Know what also makes me laugh?

Mike Matheny making 9.5 million.
    You know what makes me laugh harder? Him earning it!!!

MLB ERA
    It would be funny if earned it.

Not that we'll ever know.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He did earn his awesome $1 mil salary last season and anyone who thinks otherwise it as dumb as you. So keep making me laugh!

MLB ERA
    Yeah, and the Giants had a great run last year. Too bad he's still under contract.

Today we learn a new word: "backloaded"

Can you say "backloaded"?

AA ERA
    I don't think it was a smart move to backload that much money into Matheny's contract for this season..
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    WOW backloaded!! What a concept! No shit dumbass and he also won a GG and was second in the NL in RBI so again please keep it up because I am laughing my ass off at your poor attempts of baseball knowledge. So let's recap: You know nothing and Matheny still only made $1.5 million. I forgot to add the signing bonus the first time.

Here's some more info to help you out Saber:
    He will make $1 million in 2005, $2.25 million in 2006 and $2.25 million in 2007. The club has a $4 million option for 2008 with a $2 million buyout.

Matheny also receives a $3 million signing bonus with $500,000 payable in 2005, $1 million in 2006 and $1.5 million in 2007.
    Man that is one terrible contract isn't it?

MLB ERA
    Last year was Mike's best offensive year ever. He's only gonna move up.

Great signing, great signing. You can't get a .701 OPS just anywhere, Saber.

MLB ERA
    Mike Matheny's career line: .239/.293/.344

We're rooting for ya, kid.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yes of course that's why anybody would want Matheny is because of the offense. It amazes me sometimes that you guys don't have a clue about this game. McKain on the one hand says that Choi is going to out produce Shawn Green and now you guys think people wanted him for the offense? Its jaw dropping how clueless you guys are. He drove in more runs than Mike Piazza at the catchers position and how much more money did he make? And McKain the past three years Matheny has gotten better with the bat. Compare Matheny's contract to the others and maybe you might have a chance of saying I'm wrong. All laughs on this side and I thank you guys for it. If you want to talk about a sad situation on the Giants (which I have no clue how we got on the Giants subject, oh yeah Saber brought it up for no reason) talk about paying a guy $8 mil to be a fourth OFer. I'm rooting for ya Saber

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast