Thread: Bronson traded to Cinci

Rookie ERA

Bronson traded to Cinci

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox traded right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Wily Mo Pena on Monday.

Arroyo was 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA last season. He was part of a deep group of Red Sox starters and had taken a home-team discount when he signed a three-year contract worth $11.25 million on Jan. 19.

Pena batted .254 with 19 homers and 51 RBI last season and struck out 116 times with 20 walks. A 24-year-old right-handed hitter, he could play right field instead of lefty Trot Nixon when left-handers pitch against Boston.

Without the 29-year-old Arroyo, Boston still has Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, David Wells and Jonathan Papelbon as starters. Arroyo, who pitched five shutout innings Sunday after struggling in his first three exhibition appearances, was expected to start the season in the bullpen.

Arroyo had career highs last year with 14 wins, 32 starts and 205 1/3 innings pitched.

In the past four seasons, Pena batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI with the Reds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2376683

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Good luck teaching Wily Mo to hit a breaking pitch. We haven't been able to do it since we got him from the Yankees.
    rf28

....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

Asshat management. It's a good trade, but he signed for less so he could stay a Red Sox, give them a good deal.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    just business Fisher...and teams wonder why there's no loyalty...just like how the White Sox dissed big Frank...

Yeah, Boston kind of has a bad rep for screwing players over like this. They tried like heck to trade Trot after he gave a home team discount too. I'm not real sure I like this move, but oh well. One of our starters had to go, I would have rather seen them unload Wells or Clement though, even if they had to pay some salary.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you shouldn't have overpaid for Clement...you're lucky you were able to ditch Renteria after 1 year of his deal...it's greedy to try and get rid of both. How bout not signing bad deals for players you apparently don't want that much after all in the first place? This is why Theo is not that great to me and gets too much credit.

The solid foundation was set just before he got there and they made the ALCS the year before. He comes in and they win it the next year; it's not like they came out of nowhere to win it and he had to do too much to improve it. Last winter he made those crappy deals that they unloaded and are still trying to unload. Other than Loretta (former all-star who was injured last year) your infield is garbage. The Foulke deal hadn't worked as planned yet; 1 good year, 1 horrible year, and question marks this year. I like the Crisp deal...essentially it was money and Renteria for Crisp.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Arroyo is just going to get tortured by the Cincy's t-ball park.

Couple notes Providence

Theo actually took over the year before the ALCS Appearence when the new management came in an cleared house.

I still think it was about a half and half effort of Duquette's players and Epstein's players, which is one of the reasons he isn't a Jocketty or Schuerholtz or Beane, but in that tier below. Duquette signed/traded for guys (admittedly to overpriced deals for some) like Pedro, Lowe, Tek, Ramirez, Damon. While Epstein added guys like Foulke, Mueller, Ortiz, Schilling, and even Bellhorn for a year. Basically, for that 2004 year, 4-5 starters were Theo's (Mueller, Ortiz, Millar, Bellhorn, Cabrera), and 3-4 starters were Duquette's (Tek, Ramirez, Damon, Nomar), and 1 starter was Gorman's (Nixon).

I still agree that he had a completely off year in the 2004 off-season. I said from the start I didn't like Edgar's deal (I wanted Placido Polanco until Pedroia or Ramirez were ready), the Clement deal was a panic one (but I did like that one).

Oh well, and I still think this infield can range from decent (if Lowell bounces back and Loretta improves a bit from 2005) to horrible, depending on what happens. The outfield will have to carry the team.

Bronson is class. Simply a good guy who I am sorry to see go. I mean, I've gotten over Damon and understand why he did what he did, but when you see his parting comments over the past couple months and Bronson's quotes, I think I see who liked it in Boston more.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...g_thought.html

In other news, WMP got his first HR with the Red Sox...against the Yankees.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll speak for DK:

Rookie ERA
    NIce