Thread: Manny Reports to Red Sox camp

AA ERA

Red Sox Manny Reports to Red Sox camp

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Sporting long, braided hair with highlights toward the bottom, a scraggly goatee and a smile on his face and a Tim Brown Raiders jersey on his back, slugger Manny Ramirez entered Spring Training at 9 a.m. ET on Wednesday, marking the official start of his sixth season with the Red Sox.

Ramirez came to an agreement with the Red Sox last week that he'd arrive on March 1, a week after the rest of the position players reported but in compliance with the basic agreement between the Players Association and the league.

"I'm back, I guess people want me back," said Ramirez, looking leaner and sturdier. "My focus is baseball right now and trying to help this team win."
    It was a somewhat surreal day at Boston's Minor League complex, as the first television crew, hoping for that action shot of Ramirez walking through the parking lot, arrived at 6:22 a.m.

Two hours later, there were roughly 20 media members milling around the parking lot to chronicle the arrival of No. 24.

The photographers scrambled for position when Ramirez hopped out of his gold Cadillac, and entered the building of the complex with several people, including agents Gene Mato and Greg Genske.

During his session with the media, Ramirez sounded more business-like like than in years past, expressing determination to keep his career going on a brilliant path, and ending more than a week of speculation by confirming that he will not play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

"Nah, I'm not playing. My main focus is getting prepared for the season," said Ramirez. "That's my goal right now. That's what I'm going to do."
    Does Ramirez, who has three years and $57 million remaining on his contract, still want to be traded?

"I think it's been mischaracterized all along," said Genske. "I think that over the last few years it's a situation were the Red Sox have wanted to pursue trade alternatives, just to kind of see what's out there. Manny has always been willing to participate in those kind of talks. He'd be willing to keep an open mind and cooperate if the Red Sox decide to have trade discussions with another team. But right now, the past is the past. As he said, he's focused on getting ready for the season."

Ramirez didn't answer the question directly when asked if he still wanted to be traded. But he did indicate he'd have no problem continuing his career with the Red Sox, a team with which he's flourished for the last five seasons.

"Let me get this straight, I don't want no questions about the trade rumors, the winter, this and that; you guys want to talk about baseball or whatever, I'm open to talk," Ramirez said. "We could talk all day. I'm here, you know. I don't live in the past, I live in the present. That's it. This is a new year, I'm here. People want me to come back, people want me here, so I'm just going to move on. I'm just going to come and do my job. I get paid to play baseball, that's why I'm here. That's it, what else can I say?"
    Ramirez has always said the most by his actions on the baseball field. Once his morning physical and media obligations were complete, he got back out there, throwing on his uniform and taking batting practice and going through other drills with his teammates. Ramirez even thrilled fans by signing autographs after one of the drills.

The first teammate Ramirez greeted in the morning was Enrique Wilson, his close friend from when they were together with the Indians. Wilson, who spotted Ramirez by the batting cages, embraced the star left fielder.
    "The guys, David [Ortiz], Julian [Tavarez], all those guys. I know them for a long time and they've always got my back," Ramirez said. "They know what kind of person I am. It's fun, you know, having those guys around me. When you come for the first time, they give you a smile and they know, they're happy to see you."

Throughout the day, there were happy reunions for Ramirez, who seemingly hugged everyone he saw.

"I gave him a big old hug," said Red Sox left-hander David Wells. "A big-league hug."

But what about the hair?

"It looks like he's been hanging out with Ricky Williams too much," Wells quipped, referring to the Miami Dolphins running back who sports long dreadlocks.

As always with Ramirez, it's about the hits, not the hair.
    If his offseason workout regimen was any indication, expect Ramirez to have yet another monster season. He hit 45 home runs and drove in 144 last year.

"I'm just going to go enjoy myself like I always do and have another great year," Ramirez said. "I'm in the best shape of my life so what else can I ask?"

When Ramirez trade rumors were at their peak over the winter, Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino said that Ramirez's big issue was privacy, pertaining to being a superstar in Boston.
    Does Ramirez feel any different about Boston than he did at the end of last season?

"[I've] got no problem in Boston," Ramirez said. "I like the attention. I know that I'm one of the top guys in this game and all the attention that's on me, I have a lot of people on my shoulders, but I'm human, I like to go, I like to have fun, I like to do this and that but I have to represent Boston and the Red Sox in every way that I do outside this game. No, I look at Boston the same; it's a job that I have to go and perform. Like I said, I get paid to play baseball. Anywhere I go and play, I still have to perform, even if I like it or not."

To manager Terry Francona, there is a lot to like when Ramirez is hitting fourth behind Ortiz.

"Once he gets in the batter's box, it doesn't matter, it really doesn't," Francona said. "I really wasn't that concerned about his demeanor coming into camp. I've been around him for two years now, I know things change. And I also know that regardless of what he says, when he gets into that batter's box, he's a force, and he's got our uniform on and I don't see him going anywhere else. If there's an occasional bump in the road, that doesn't take the place of 140 RBIs. And if you look down at the stretch last year, when we really needed Manny, he was there."

At the age of 33, Ramirez, with a .314 career average and 435 home runs, wants to spend the remaining years of his career mashing -- just like he's been doing for the last decade-plus.

"I've got a beautiful career going on and I'm not going to let little [distractions] like this mess up all the things that I accomplished," said Ramirez. "I think, when I finish my career, I'm going to be a special player and I'm not going to let nobody stop that -- that's me, I've got a goal for myself and I know I'm going to accomplish that."

Ramirez ended his session with the media before saying what the goal was, but it presumably includes a plaque at a baseball museum in Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA
    Yeah saw him on the TV today he looked good, and he still talked to the media.
    God Bless You !!