Thread: 2006: Time for a new pair of Sox

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Red Sox 2006: Time for a new pair of Sox

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-310852c.html

Assuming the Angels are out of the running, that would leave only two possibilities - the Diamondbacks, who are run by Manny's old agent, Jeff Moorad, and could send Troy Glaus to Boston as a partial wash of the remaining $57 million due Ramirez, and the Mets, who could satisfy the Red Sox's need for a first baseman if they can get Aubrey Huff from Tampa Bay for their starting pitching surplus, including Jae Seo and Aaron Heilman. The Diamondbacks also have to trade Javy Vazquez now that he's exercised his right to demand one, and he, too, could be part of a Manny deal.

In any case, trading Manny figures to be a scary proposition for any new GM in Boston. As one NL GM said last week: "How do you ever replace 145 RBI? It's just like the Dodgers when they traded (Mike) Piazza all those years ago. They were never the same."
    It's definitely going to be a different team next year.

Rookie ERA
    Should be a fun hot stove league.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Even Gabe Kapler was released.

Rookie ERA
    Well if we make some kind of deal with the Padres, I wouldnt mind seeing Dave Roberts back in a Sox Uni. Also, I think The Sox signed Kapler to a minor league contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well if they did I am not finding it. They released him on Friday.

MLB ERA
    according to sportsline:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel says Boston is interested in Brewers 1B Lyle Overbay and may have offered P Matt Clements in exchange.
    I'm not sure who "Matt Clements" is, but either way I'm sure Fisher would be sad to see the team crybaby go, eh?

MLB ERA
    another source:

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseba...lines-baseball

In addition to signaling the end of Mueller's days in Boston, the trade - in which the Red Sox also received reliever Guillermo Mota and sent back four prospects - likely means that third baseman Kevin Youkilis will see more action across the diamond. Youkilis could be part of a platoon with a left-handed hitting first baseman. The Red Sox have reportedly expressed an interest in Brewers first baseman Lyle Overbay and have talked to the Rangers about Adrian Gonzalez, the top overall pick in the 2000 amateur draft.

"Whichever way this shakes out with the first base/third base situation, I think Kevin's going to get a lot of playing time, just as Mike is," said Craig Shipley, who was part of a group of Red Sox officials that orchestrated the trade.

Lowell, an All-Star in 2002-04, won a Gold Glove last season and has a .976 career fielding percentage, the best in major league history among third basemen with at least 650 games, ahead of Brooks Robinson (.971). Lowell also has a World Series ring from 2003.

"I'm very much looking forward to this," Lowell said of playing in Boston. "I've never been more excited for a season to start than this one."

I would rather roll the dice with Clement then take Overbay. He just seems like the type of player who just goes completely with his BA, I don't know.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    More 1B options!

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=114191

At first base, Milwaukee’s Lyle Overbay and Texas’ Adrian Gonzalez have been mentioned as trade possibilities, and so have Cincinnati’s Sean Casey, the Los Angeles Angels’ Darin Erstad and Arizona’s Chad Tracy. Travis Lee is also available on the free agent market.
    Casey is a little to pricey, but hey, the Reds fans will love you if you take him

MLB ERA
    Boston writers weigh in on Johhny:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...th_10m_a_year/

Is Johnny Damon worth $10m a year?
    November 27, 2005

NICK CAFARDO-A four-year, $40 million deal for Johnny Damon is perfect. Anything less would be shortchanging his ability and the intangibles he brings. Anything more would be risky. There's no doubt the Red Sox want him back, and they'll have to play the Scott Boras game for a while. But one thing they won't do is drag it out to the point where they might miss out on the few available center fielders, such as Torii Hunter or Juan Pierre. If such an offer is made, then it's up to Damon as to how much he really wants to stay in Boston. Nobody could legitimately consider it low-balling him if such an offer is made and Damon rejects it.

DAN SHAUGHNESSY-I just got through checking out Scott Boras's dossier on Johnny, and until now I had no idea Johnny was better than both Willie Mays and Joe DiMaggio. What a crock. OK, we love Johnny because he plays hard and has incredible offensive skills and can hit with only one arm. He's a great offensive catalyst and he has great hair. But anything more than three and a club option is a bad idea (and I say this as a spokesman for ownership; we must protect our 17 percent, you know). Give him four or more years and you're looking at Bernie Williams at the end of the deal. Three years and a club option at 8-9 mil per sounds about right. Bet he doesn't stay for that.

BOB RYAN-It's all Monopoly money anyway, so the only thing relevant to you and me is context, and Johnny Damon is the best leadoff force in baseball. He will play all next season at 32, which means he will be 35 when the contract is over, and I can live with that. The flip side: Why would he want to take his act anywhere else? He's just one notch below Tom Brady as a Boston folk hero, and we even conveniently overlook the fact that Hazel Mae has a better arm. Who else would do that? If ever he was going to goof off and let us down, it would have been last year, when he was America's Guest in the offseason. But he was great again. We must have him. Just not for seven years. I'm not that crazy.

GORDON EDES-Johnny Damon is worth whatever it takes for the Red Sox to re-sign him, unless the market gets completely goofy and someone gives Scott Boras the seven-year deal that he believes Damon deserves. Given Damon's age, the position he plays, and the physical toll he's taken for playing as hard as he does, a three-year contract with an option would probably be optimal, but with quality leadoff men in such short supply these days, and Damon's reputation among his teammates and his manager for being such a hard worker, a four-year deal at $10m per is not unreasonable.

CHRIS SNOW-The Sox have no choice but to bring Damon back. There's no one else out there, and there's no one knocking on the door. The deal that Jason Varitek signed a year ago (four years, $40 million) should -- and must -- suffice, because the club already has $76 million committed to just seven players in 2007. Damonfouls off pitches and sets a tone with his hustle, comes close to leading the league in runs each season, and brings men, women, and children to the park. But, above all, Damon relieves pressure. In that cramped clubhouse there must be someone to steer the tape recorders clear of Jonathan Papelbon, Josh Beckett, and soon Jon Lester and Dustin Pedroia.
    they seem to think like the mighty fishercat...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Overbay is a good linedrive hitter with gap power and with a short porch in RF like at Fenway, he could do wonders for this team. He is much better than Olerud and Millar. Overbay would have 90 RBI for this team.

I can deal with a 4/40 since the team has the funds to do it and there's only one other option out there who can produce similarly and he's about 3 years older and more risky. If he won't take something like 4/40? Well...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.