Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Theo rejects Red Sox offer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Manny wasn't big? Damon wasn't big? Pedro wasn't big? Lowe wasn't big? Are you ****ing serious? Adding 3 players is not "building a team." Just because you don't agree w/ someone, doesn't mean you're always right. Everyone has their own opinion
    Yeah they were big in 2003 and got no where. These guys took them over the top. Are you ****ing serious? And please note where I said those guys weren't big.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Did I mention that I love it when the Boston Globe gets stuff wrong?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    They made it to game 7 of the ALCS in 2003, How is that not a successful year?

The point was that people say Theo "built" a World Champion. My point is, how can you say that when so many major pieces were already there before he was? You can't, that's why.

He added Schilling and Foulke who both wanted to join the Red Sox and the Sox had the money to take both.

Geeee, Curt Schilling says he only wants to be traded the us and get us a ring. What should we do? Duh...

Wow, now the Rolaid Reliever of the Year last year wants to sign with us and get us a ring, too. We need a closer. What ever should we do? Duh...

The only move he really deserves credit for is Ortiz, but simply adding those 3 guys does not mean he "built" a champion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Building a champion doesn't mean just adding a couple guys to an already solid team. The year before Theo got there they were 93 - 69 (.574), which is pretty good and does not indicate the team was in shambles in need of rebuilding.

Rookie ERA
    Well Schilling also came here because Tito was made manager.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    They made it to game 7 of the ALCS in 2003, How is that not a successful year?

The point was that people say Theo "built" a World Champion. My point is, how can you say that when so many major pieces were already there before he was? You can't, that's why.

He added Schilling and Foulke who both wanted to join the Red Sox and the Sox had the money to take both.

Geeee, Curt Schilling says he only wants to be traded the us and get us a ring. What should we do? Duh...

Wow, now the Rolaid Reliever of the Year last year wants to sign with us and get us a ring, too. We need a closer. What ever should we do? Duh...

The only move he really deserves credit for is Ortiz, but simply adding those 3 guys does not mean he "built" a champion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just arguing for the sake of arguing. Building a champion doesn't mean just adding a couple guys to an already solid team. The year before Theo got there they were 93 - 69 (.574), which is pretty good and does not indicate the team was in shambles in need of rebuilding.
    What an absolute crock of shit that was. I am very impressed. Theo went out and got the right pieces to get them over the top. You cannot get around that so please stop trying. Bosox is right that Schilling only wanted to go to the Red Sox if Terry was managing and not every GM could have raped the Dbacks like Theo did. Not every GM did what Theo did. Building a championship means getting all the right guys. Yes most were already there but those guys couldn't do it so he got the people who could get Bopston a title. And yes because of those guys they did it. Bringing up getting to game 7 in 2003 means nothing since they esentially did nothing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being dumb about it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'm saying that he got the pieces that put them over; I was refuting the point that he "built" the team. What part of that do you not understand? He did not build the team. Most of the team was there and he added a few pieces. He did not build the team.

Rookie ERA
    Watching his Press Conf, I got this nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. This guy know what e was doing, Im worried about about who the bring in. I hope we get some one who is as smart and hard working as Theo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123