Thread: Two 2004 WS teams at top of ratings charts.

Two 2004 WS teams at top of ratings charts.

For Saturday games on the Fox network (KTVI, Channel 2 locally), St. Louis had a 9.9 rating - the highest figure for any market in the 10 seasons Fox has aired major-league baseball. It is the third season in a row that St. Louis was Fox's top-rated market. This year's rating is 41 percent higher than the No. 2 market, Boston, which had a 7.0 figure.

In fact, St. Louis has been tops nationally in six of the past eight years. The other two seasons, St. Louis was second.
    Advertisement

"St. Louis is a baseball town with a legendary history," Fox Sports President Ed Goren said. "The Cardinals are one of those teams that have a national following; no matter what town you go into, you're going to find Cardinals fans."

"What a great year it would be, not to take anything away from other teams but to do a World Series again in St. Louis, in the final days of the old Busch (Stadium). I don't know if it gets us any ratings, but it's a great story."

Fox will carry the Series, as well as the league championship rounds.

The majority of the Cardinals' games were shown on cable's FSN Midwest, and according to Nielsen Media Research, those telecasts were seen in an average of 9.2 percent of area homes.

That's the highest rating ever for Cards cablecasts, up 5 percent over last year when the previous mark was set at 8.8. And it's the second-best rating in the nation for a team's games on a regional cable carrier. Only Boston was higher.

FSN Midwest was the top-rated station on St. Louis television in prime-time hours 27 times this season, all with Cardinals games. That's quite a feat for a cable/satellite channel that is picked up in about 80 percent of area homes.

KPLR (Channel 11) carried the Cards' telecasts that aired on free TV and finished with a rating of 12.9. That's the highest finish for the station other than in 1998, when Mark McGwire's pursuit of the home run record sparked a 14.8 rating. KPLR's rating ranked second nationally to Boston for over-the-air TV.

For Boston, all those numbers mean is

A) Ticket prices are really high
    B) All the seats are sold out
    C) We really love the Red Sox
    D) We have no life

All of the above work, either way, Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo brought in the best ratings on television for the regionally broadcast games, and the Sox fans should be thrilled with that. Nice to see fans knew what to do when they won the WS.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...+%22records%22
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    This also goes to show that not everyone thinks the Sox and Yankees are baseball's only teams. I was so sick of ESPN showing every single Yanks/Sox game this year. People need a variety. There is a lot more to baseball than the Sox/Yanks rivalry and I am glad they are both out of the playoffs. There is no story anymore and they needed a break for at least one year from the ALCS.

Rookie ERA
    Good lord, enough of the Anti-Yankee red sox already. The teams did need to almost catc their breath after the past 2 playoffs. Since i live in the Chicao area, I can speak for some people outside of Boston, but my freinds and family always try to catch a Yanks-Sox game. It's not like people outside of Boston and New York hate watching the games.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Enough of it? We haven't had enough of anti Red Sox/Yankee talk yet. Shit gets old after you see it so many times and that was my point. It has been played out and the story lost its thunder big time after the curse was reversed. ESPN has blown the Sox and Yanks enough. Show other teams for a change PLEASE!!!!

Rookie ERA
    Thats your opinoin but the ratings prove other wise.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Rating in that region yes. Did you not read the article above? Its not just an opinion.

Rookie ERA
    The article above doesnt say Public sick of Yankees Sox doesnt, unless I missed something. Agian just because you dont like them doesnt mean the public feels the same way. Look at the ratings for the last 2 ALCS's.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    wow the big markets like them. Doesn't mean all of america does.