Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Manny?

Rookie ERA
    I think he means no Spankees, but I dont know

I mean the team wise playoff set-up. I'd be happy with any of the four teams remaining winning, although an Astros-White Sox WS would be fantastic.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance324
    EXACTLY!!!!!! I myself understand that, and for that same reason, I will be very upset if Manny isn't wandering around in Fenway's left field next year. I wouldn't be against trading him if it were for equal value, but the Sox are going to take a hosing if they trade him, no doubt about it.

As far as getting rid of him to reduce salary... It's a good idea, but only if that money will be used wisely elsewhere, and the FA crop this year is weak, so they aren't going to be able to replace him, or improve enough in another area, say pitching to make up for his loss. They need to tell Manny that he isn't going anywhere, period, and by the start of next season, he will have accepted it, and will be his normal self. Let's face it, the guy doesn't seem to get too upset about anything.
    The problem the Sox are facing is that if they trade Manny, they'll get the short end of the stick. But if they keep him, then he may be miserable, bring others down with him, and just may flat out not perform. He's already said he's gonna retire soon and whatnot...the Sox are in a lose / lose situation IMO. If you trade him knowing you're going to take a hit, then they need to rip someone else off or splurge on the best FAs available.

You know what this reminds me of to an extent? Roger Clemens. I mean, in 1996, he had two good but not Clemens like years, and he wanted big money. I find it hard to believe, that if he was given another big deal, that he would have suddenly developed a new pitch and got in shape like he did in Toronto to be the best AL Pitcher until Martinez came along if he was in Boston. However, they let him go (in the twilight of his years, right Danny?), and he was dominant until he got to New York, where he turned mortal.

It's a hard choice. I don't think Manny will quit playing...but is it a risk to take? I mean, with Cameron and 12 million (and a couple good prospects), you know you get a decent OF production (nothing great, sort of like Nixon with better defense and more K's) and some money to play with. And if they let Damon go and grab another good OF, that opens more doors.

Very good point on the lose/lose situation.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Well, he's already quit on various "one-time" occasion type things. Not running balls out, not hustling after fly balls, not being in the field when the inning starts (taking a leak in the monster), demanding days off when it's not best for the team after Nixon got hurt...

I just think there'd be more of that to force the Sox to trade him and then they'd really get ripped off as other teams would have them crying uncle...whereas now they still have some leverage as none of that is going on...yet. They can still demand whatever they want to make sure they get something close to equal value, but if they wait until after the season starts and he starts with the "Just Manny being Manny" bullshit again, they're going to get bent over

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    How much is left exactly on his contract and for how many more years?

Very good points. I just wonder how long will it last. At what point next season will the Red Sox go on a six game losing streak in June and then someone drinks Manny's iced coffee and Manny doesn't like Boston anymore. He scares the crap out of me...since even if Mike Cameron and Aubrey Huff is kind of like trading for two 5's and giving up a 10, that might be good value by this time next year if Manny decides to stop trying a bit, and is hitting .250.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugo...dugout8-2h.htm

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I see the Mets more likely going after Delgado and a closer. Their outfield is good enough right now. Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question?

I am almost 100% sure he has three years left. I want to say 62 million, but it's almost definitely in the 57-63 million dollar range.

Sports Weekly has a tidbit in "The Buzz" this week that The Sox are wanting to do a Ramirez for Beltran deal. Yuck

As I said in the topic on another forum here

<obscenities>

Rookie ERA
    Thats it straight up? We have to get more than Beltran.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234