Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manny?

Yeah, that's why I was thinking the Sox should just suck it up at first defensively and play Ortiz there, and get a flexible DH (preferable an all-around OF kind of like Payton last year, but that can actually hit for the Sox, someone to take over when one of the three OF gets injured).

As for Casey, I'd like to have a guy like Casey at 1B...at half the salary and none of the prospect cost. I don't think any team would give anything above a couple decent but not projecting to be great prospects for a good but not great 1B making 7+ million and still aging.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Arroyo is not a prospect and neither is Miller. Ortiz at first is just a bad idea. Why chance the big bastard getting hurt and pulling something? He is useless in the field. If you want an all round guy, get John Mabry who can play first, third and outfield.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you can have the White Whale if you want, but what are you going to do with 2 DHs?

Erubiel was in the NL once and he couldn't DH there, I figure he played 1B, or short outfield, or umpire or something.

And really, I don't get why Ortiz can't play the field. *goes on rant about how he can't win awards as a DH, yet he shouldn't play the field because he'd get injured*

They may as well keep Millar if their choice for starting 1B would be John Mabry.

MLB ERA
    sorry, I simply meant DH is their primary position. I don't recall Durazo playing 1B for the A's much. They both can play 1st base, just like you or I could , but you wouldn't want them (or us) to play it unless you absolutely had no choice.

Man, I play a mean first base. I only had one error in an entire season of Little League games.

I just want the Sox to grab someone so there won't be a virtual black hole in the #6 or #7 slot every game like Millar. He seemed to come up in so many 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs situations and then pop out. And to make his stats look good, then he'd hit 3 HRs in a game and everyone's like "HE'S BACK!", and then he goes 4-30.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Man, I play a mean first base. I only had one error in an entire season of Little League games.
    I played 1st base in little league, too. Once I got to high school (didn't play in junior high) I just pitched. Coach wouldn't let me do anything else. I pitched a little in college, too. Being lefty (throw lefty, bat righty), you don't have a lot of options.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Erubiel was in the NL once and he couldn't DH there, I figure he played 1B, or short outfield, or umpire or something.

And really, I don't get why Ortiz can't play the field. *goes on rant about how he can't win awards as a DH, yet he shouldn't play the field because he'd get injured*

They may as well keep Millar if their choice for starting 1B would be John Mabry.
    Durazo shared time with Mark Grace. And I don't think a DH should win a MVP award for the obvious reasons but I am a realist too. Guys who can't play first, shouldn't play first. So who cares if I think that DH's shouldn't win a MVP award? That has nothing to do with the fact that Ortiz IS a DH and should not be in the field because he is a defensive liability. You are the one who asked for the all around guy to play the field and Mabry is a much better choice than Millar defensively and was just as good as Millar offensively this year. Durazo is coming off TJ surgery and he should remain a DH somewhere. The Red Sox defense is weak, don't make it weaker.

I would like a guy who can play a few positions, and you know, hit. I mean, Mabry can hit for power relative to his OBP, but when Millar will get on about 40-45 more times in a regular season, well.

There just aren't enough quality 1B choices that aren't great. I'd love Konerko, but getting him off the White Sox and paying him a lot isn't that great for the Red Sox. The next best available usual 1B is Millar, scary.

The whole DH thing was more of a joke.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    The Red Sox defense is weak, don't make it weaker.
    I'm gonna disagree here...please make it weaker, please!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Travis Lee is a much better first baseman than Millar.

Travis Lee is available? If so, the Sox should go after him. He hits a little better than Millar and he plays better defense.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    According to General's thread in Transactions and Rumors section he is and I know the Giants are thinking about possibly getting him.

As for actual baseball, if the Red Sox can't make it to the next round, the current set-up is almost perfect.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    As for actual baseball, if the Red Sox can't make it to the next round, the current set-up is almost perfect.
    Huh?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast