Thread: Red Sox set schedule for home opener

Rookie ERA

Red Sox Red Sox set schedule for home opener

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos

TORONTO -- The Red Sox formally announced the schedule of festivities for Monday's historic home opener against the Yankees. The team advises fans to get to the park early, as the gates will open at 12:05 p.m. ET, which is three hours before the first pitch.
    The most anticipated moment of the day, when the Sox receive their World Series championship rings, is scheduled to occur at approximately 2:15 p.m. Pregame ceremonies will start at 2:05.

There will be several other moments that are likely to stir the emotions of the fans, including the raising of the World Series banner. The team will have a moment of silence for Pope John Paul II and former Red Sox closer Dick Radatz.

Because it is a weekday, parking will be limited.

"We have two pieces of advice: Take the T and come early," said Red Sox executive vice president/public affairs Dr. Charles Steinberg. "We urge fans to make it a hassle-free day. Come when the gates open, check out the expanded Third Base Concourse and the new First Base Deck, get comfortable and be in your seats by about 2 p.m.

"The 2005 Fenway Improvements have not only added function, but they have helped make the ballpark even more beautiful. The new, restored exteriors will take some fans back to the 1920s, just as the sea of green does inside the park. We hope fans take the time to stroll around the park and enjoy the improvements."

I heard that the Dodgers gave Derek Lowe permission to go to Boston for the ceremony. I thought that was cool of both the Red Sox and Dodgers to do this.

Rookie ERA
    I hope lowe and Pedro show up.

I think it would be fitting for both of them to be there.

AAA ERA
    And every Yankee is up on the top step of the dugout. What a classy franchise.

Congrats Sox.

A great day in RedSox history besides winning it. They go on to blow out their arch rival after basking in celebration of the ceremonies.

I was happy to see Lowe show up in Red Sox gear and all, I was never a fan of his, but he earned that ring. A fair amount of former Sox were there for the ring.

And props to Mariano Rivera for taking the mock cheering with a good sense of humor. And props to the Yankees for staying on the top step, I don't think the Sox would have done that, and it was a good thing to do.

I just watched the ceremony at mlb.com and I have to say it was pretty cool to watch. I agree that it was extremely classy of the Yankees to watch it and even applaud. I also liked how Rivera had a sense of humor toward the Sox fans cheering him. I may not pull for the Yankees a whole lot, but I really do like most of those guys.

Lowe got a huge ovation and I thought that was cool. Dave Roberts was also there and got a big ovation. Being an everyday player I was surprised to see him, but I guess he's on the DL. I wish Pedro would have been there, he deserved to be, but I assume he turned down the invitation with the attitude he's been pulling against the Sox. I also thought it was great when they gave Johnny Pesky a ring. Does he still do something with the team or did they give him one because he's the oldest Red Sox player or something?

Pesky is part of the coaching staff, I think it could be more honorary/emotion type thing than anything else, but he is part of the team.

Roberts is on the DL, so I guess he could go.

AA ERA
    Killah: Mets were playing their home opener today so Pedro could not go. With that said, even if the Mets were off, Pedro wasn't going. He is really bitter at the Red Sox management.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Killah: Mets were playing their home opener today so Pedro could not go. With that said, even if the Mets were off, Pedro wasn't going. He is really bitter at the Red Sox management.

I knew he was bitter at management, though I think it's more on him than them. I didn't think about it being the Met's home opener, but that would be a good reason not to even if he wanted to.