Thread: Paplebon needs to stay in the rotation

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Paplebon needs to stay in the rotation

The rotation should be Schilling, Clement, Wells, Wakefield, Paplebon. Move Arroyo to the bullpen since we know he can succeed there. We have no idea how Paplebon will respond in the bullpen, so why not just leave him where we know he will succeed?

The only other argument I could see is that Paplebon throws hard and could succeed in short stints out of the bullpen. Plus Arroyo and Paplebon will be in the bullpen come the playoffs anyway, so it might be wise to get him some work out of the bullpen till then.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Just because he's done well in 3 starts, doesn't mean he's going to continue to do well...once teams get scouting reports and see him more, they'll start hitting him and then he'll have to adjust. He'll definitely be in the starting rotation next year.

Papelbon seems to have the type of repotoire (an exploding fastball and a couple other decent pitches) to be able to be a great pen guy, but he can start. I wouldn't mind trying it. Either way, you're right, he'll be in the pen for the playoffs and with the Sox lack of actual MLB caliber pitchers there, they could use him.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    The argument could go either way. I just like not messing with a good thing. He's pitching well out of the rotation. Hopefully that translates to success in the bullpen.

I can understand that, he's been a starter in the minors and screwing him up could turn out badly. I would love to see if Wade Miller, Jonathan Papelbon, and Bronson Arroyo (or someone else) could go into the pen if the Sox make the playoffs.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.