Thread: Shaky start for Curt

Rookie ERA

Shaky start for Curt

Schilling gives up six runs for PawSox
    Story Tools: Print Email
    Associated Press
    Posted: 11 hours ago

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Curt Schilling gave up six runs in six innings in a rehabilitation start for Boston's Triple-A Pawtucket farm team Thursday, appearing to grow stronger as the game progressed and showing no signs of lingering effects from his offseason ankle surgery.

The World Series MVP allowed 11 hits, including two solo homers, a triple and a double. He struck out six and walked none, throwing 77 of 104 pitches for strikes in a 7-5 loss to the Indianapolis Indians.
    After throwing 47 pitches and struggling with left-handed hitters in the first two innings, he retired 12 of his last 16 batters, striking out four.

Schilling, scheduled to start against the New York Yankees at Fenway Park on Wednesday, allowed homers to Edwards Guzman in the first inning and to Ryan Doumit in the third. Schilling threw strikes on 14 of his 17 pitches in the first inning.

He threw 18 balls and 18 strikes in the second, giving up four runs and five hits. Yurendell de Caster led off with a double, and Guzman hit a two-run single down the right field line.

Schilling was sharper in the third inning, throwing five balls and five strikes, and in the fourth, when he threw seven strikes and two balls.

Nate McLouth got a fifth-inning triple when his sinking liner skipped past left fielder Chip Ambres. Graham Koonce followed with an RBI single, but Schilling finished the inning by striking out the next two batters.

This is worrying...I hope this was just his warm up and he wasn't trying too hard. If not we could be in big trouble when we host the Yankees at Fenway.

Rookie ERA
    is this going to be a good year for curt even if he does feel better on his ankle? or did he just have 1st game jitters?
    http://www.tmfsl.biz/Photos/big2.jpg

Yankees=World Series Title

AAA ERA
    lol he got rocked in a AAA game.

AAA ERA
    He threw strikes, didn't walk anyone, kept his team in it. I'm still not looking forward to the Bombers facing him on Wednesday.

I'm not worried. As Hmark said, he did what he should have done: thrown strikes and didn't walk anyone, and I don't think many expect him to be Curt for a month or so.