Thread: Pedro doesn't want his ring???

Rookie ERA

Pedro doesn't want his ring???

Martinez still angry at former team
    Story Tools: Print Email
    FOXSports.com
    Posted: 16 hours ago

So much for leaving on good terms.

He's smiling here, but when it comes to his former team, Pedro Martinez isn't in a laughing mood. (LM Otero / Associated Press)
    According to a report in the Boston Herald, the acrimony Pedro Martinez holds toward his former employers has reached the point where Martinez may not accept the World Series ring he helped the Boston Red Sox win last year.

"If they want to keep the (World Series) ring, that's fine,'' he told the paper. "I just know I contributed to that team to win, and I'm proud of it. They can never erase what I did in Boston. Most important, I had a job in Boston for seven years, and I appreciate that. And that's the most important thing. I had a job, and I did what I had to do in my job. Every time I could pitch, I did. Hurting, or not hurting.''

"It's his ring," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. "He earned it."

Martinez may have earned it, but he may not want it.

The source of Martinez's discontent? His belief that the Red Sox downplayed his abilities and contributions when he left the team during the off-season to sign as a free agent with the New York Mets.

"Because I didn't let Theo (Epstein) or the Red Sox decide my life, my future, I'm a bad man now,'' Martinez said. "Judging from what I've seen, and what I've read and what I've heard, that's how I'm being portrayed.

"I did my job. I think I did that all seven years I was there. Everyone seems to have forgotten about that. A lot of the fans probably remember, but they're selling me as a negative. I'm not saying all the fans. But some have forgotten.''

Does this strike anyone as strange??? I was real dissapointed to see him go and i am very dissapointed to see he is upset with the Red Sox organisation. I gotta say if he doesn't take it i think he would regret it.

This is a bit weird. He got his big FA contract and a WS title. If he doesn't want the ring, fine (and I can understand Nomar not taking his), but you're right, it is odd

Nomar didn't get a ring. As for Pedro, I just don't understand any of this. Maybe some fans closer to the team who has more knowledge can fill me in. My impression is that Pedro left the Sox because the Mets gave him four years when Boston or nobody else would. And even the Mets did so only at the last minute and really didn't want to. It appears to me that Pedro played the Red Sox and Boston didn't bite, therefore Pedro is a Met and doing everything possible to make the Red Sox front office appear to be the bad guy. Maybe that's totally off, but that's how I see it right now.

To me, being loved and admired as Pedro was in Boston and being part of the team that finally won the World Series and having the chance to play as defending champions is worth way more than an extra guarenteed year.

That's pretty much how I took it. He took it as arrogance and disrespect from the Sox organization.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    Nomar didn't get a ring. As for Pedro, I just don't understand any of this. Maybe some fans closer to the team who has more knowledge can fill me in. My impression is that Pedro left the Sox because the Mets gave him four years when Boston or nobody else would. And even the Mets did so only at the last minute and really didn't want to. It appears to me that Pedro played the Red Sox and Boston didn't bite, therefore Pedro is a Met and doing everything possible to make the Red Sox front office appear to be the bad guy. Maybe that's totally off, but that's how I see it right now.

To me, being loved and admired as Pedro was in Boston and being part of the team that finally won the World Series and having the chance to play as defending champions is worth way more than an extra guarenteed year.
    I totally agree with that. It always seems like Pedro will bad mouth the Red Sox and the Theo (Epstein) will come back and say something like we gave him a chance or we loved having him here...just somthing to show were not angry at Pedro.

I've always been a huge Pedro fan and still am, but he just needs to shutup and play. Someday he'll probably look back and regret changing teams, especially if the Mets continue to suck it up.

AA ERA
    I thought they offered Nomar one? IIRC they were happy with how he had helped the team in years past and they atleast offered him one.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

I remember that about Nomar, and I think he did take the ring.

As for Pedro, I have no clue why he would be pissed off at the Sox. He will defiantly regret not taking the ring.

They gave Nomar a winners share of the money, not a ring.

ah ok. I knew he got something.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, and I read today that Pedro Astacio got a World Series ring! LOL. The guy made one start in June then went on the DL the rest of the season. That is ultra-ghey.

Rookie ERA
    You serious? Thats pretty strange...

Pedro has got to be one of the biggest head cases of all time. Why wouldhe turn down the ring? It does not symbolize necessarily your affection for the organization but what 25 players were able to accomplish.

At the time it was just a rumor and it stated "may not accept the ring." Does anyone know if he actually didn't accept it?