Thread: Bobby V calls out Youkilis

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Red Sox Bobby V calls out Youkilis

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, on WHDH's Sports Xtra show Sunday night, said Kevin Youkilis isn't as into baseball as he has been in the past.
    "I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason," Valentine said. Bobby V has long been a difficult motivator to understand intellectually, but this tactic seems particularly bizarre. Voicing concern over the idea of motivation will likely offend Youkilis far more than critiquing his on-field performance. Such a strategy might work with a rookie, but it's hard to envision it forcing Youk to reconsider the way in which he's currently approaching both his life and profession. Youkilis is hitting .200/.265/.233 thus far. He's more likely to turn things around based on his athletic ability than his wacky manager's poke-the-bear machinations.
    Youk has looked like the same ole Youk the past couple of days with him doing well and the Red Sox winning. He's showed the same passion I have always seen so whatever Bobby V is seeing is not on the field. Youk is no doubt pissed and will likely give Valentine a mouthful.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Bobby V calls out Youkilis

Youk: "I play hard every day."
    Pedroia: "I don't know what Bobby's trying to do, but that's not how we do things around here."

Bobby and Francona fighting for air-time at ESPN should be fun.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Bobby V calls out Youkilis

"Youk" has taken the spot of Varitek as the guy on the team that fills all those terrible cliches about giving 110%, and having all the fans behind him.

Boobby goes out on a line hoping to get something going, and it backfires because he calls out the wrong guy. Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury are all basically off limits.